• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I plugged my overhead display in, and it doesnt work...

moneypit_k5

NAXJA Forum User
SO my Xj is a 92, doner overhead console is from my rolled '94. I yarded the complete wiring harness from the 94 when I parted it. So, I got the console in, wired it down behind the kick panel. I was able to plug everything in without a hitch. I havent done the outside temp sensor yet.

My problem is, the console is dead. no dome lights, no display, nothing. the old dome light worked fine. I checked all my fuses, and even compared PDC blocks side by side to find a difference. Im thinking theres a relay somewhere that isnt installed.

Has anybody else run into this issue? I just dont wanna build my own harness here when this should work by plugging it in.

Check your fuses. Relays shouldn't matter.

on the red plug for the harness the console side has 5 wires one being a white switch power. your red side from the jeep only has 4 wires. you need to wire the white to a hot key on source.

on the red plug for the harness the console side has 5 wires one being a white switch power. your red side from the jeep only has 4 wires. you need to wire the white to a hot key on source.

sure enough, I looked and the jeep side has 4, the console side has 6.

If the white is power, the other must be for the temp sensor?

thanks alot!

There are two white/black wires going to the OHC (on 97-up, may not be true on 96-down, I forget.) One is ignition switched power (probably the one you are missing) and the other is one of the wires for the CCD data bus. The temp sensor wires are black with a light blue stripe and either purple with a green stripe or green with a purple stripe, I forget which.

ok.. so i finally got around to figuring this out.

Heres the deal with wiring these in:

Pay attention to the colors on the OHC side of the harness.

On the red plug: there are only 4 wires that matter, though there might be more there.

- pink, orange and black control the dome lights, black being a ground. I found these same color wires in the original dome light plug, I cut the plug off and used them.

-white or white/black wire controls the led display. this needs ignition switched power.

my jeep harness already had a small black plug with (2) wires: a yellow and a black. this is the temp sensor. my outside plug was a red two wire plug found under the relays by the battery. It was not wired down to the front of the rig. basically, there is a 2' extension harness that connects the sensor to the red plug beneath the relays.

Now, the ONLY way I was able to figure all this out, was to look at 5 different jeeps between 91-95. What I discovered was that all the power window jeeps had the correct plugs themselves, while the manual window jeep had none of them.

However, on the power jeeps, the red plug on the jeep side held very different wiring depending on the year. On early '94-down, the red plug only had power door lock wiring, or on late '94-up, it had OHC and dome light wiring.

Back