• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaky factory sun/moon roof

egotripp

NAXJA Forum User
Have a 91 Laredo with a leaky moon roof. I cleaned the drain holes in the front corners of any debris. When sitting still, nothing leaks but as soon ad the XJ moves it drips down from the back. I haven't seen this option on many Jeeps. Has anyone had this happen or know where to get new seals for it possibly?

The Cherokee line was never offered from the factory with a sun roof. They where either dealer installed, or otherwise, and always aftermarket.

Does your sunroof latch down securely in the back? On mine, the gearing that moves the cables was worn out. I had to open the gear box up and used safety wire to hold the cables in the securely latched position. Before that, you could push up the back part of the sunroof "window". It leaked, but now is tight.

No latch, it has a twist knob about the size of your palm in the back. The sunroof is shaped like the solaire link above but that on looks like its electric. Mine is all manual and the glass is removable.

The Cherokee line was never offered from the factory with a sun roof. They where either dealer installed, or otherwise, and always aftermarket.

my 89 has what appears to be a factory sunroof, I've found just one other early xj in a pick-a-part that had the same sunroof.

I honestly believe this to be a factory option for one reason. the sheetmetal on the roof was never modified to accept one, but instead purpose built for a sunroof. The embossed beads that run the length of the roof stop much shorter on the sunroof equipped models. If you were to add a sunroof to a non-equipped xj, you'd have to cut into these beads and would hamper your ability to properly weather seal the frame to the roof.

I've had the headliner out and I can find no evidence that this roof WASN'T factory formed with short beads to accept a sunroof, the metal has never been reworked or modified.

My 01 supposedly has a factory moon roof...it leaked like a sieve until I sealed it over. The motor is practically dead too, it barely closed or opened in about 09 when I gave up on it.

the little drain hoses that allow the water to flow out of the "gutter" part of the sunroof need to be cleared or replaced. mine were solid with all the dust and silt that washed down through there every time my jeep got wet. I used that black landscaping drip line stuff that they hook up to an irrigation system to deliver water to flowers or shrubs and a little butyl tape to seal them to the trough.

Back