• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Axle Movement

mg614

NAXJA Forum User
Been a LONG time since I have looked at this forum. I searched this issue but did not find anything.
2001 Limited with 3.5 RE6025 installed a few months ago.
I started to notice some noise from the front end and found that the whole axle is rotating forward and backward. This generally happens when my foot is on the brake and I put the transmission into Drive (or Reverse).
Since the RE6025 included lower control arms and not uppers, am I correct to assume I need new bushings up top to fix this?

Thanks

How old is your lift. If I recall RE had a recall on thier bushings, they were not meeting quality and wearing out quickly. I think that was about a year ago. My front bushing went to toast in all 4 control arms after about 5K miles on my life.

The lift probably sat in my garage for 8mos before it was finally installed. Maybe I need to change all of the bushings?

Been a LONG time since I have looked at this forum. I searched this issue but did not find anything.
2001 Limited with 3.5 RE6025 installed a few months ago.
I started to notice some noise from the front end and found that the whole axle is rotating forward and backward. This generally happens when my foot is on the brake and I put the transmission into Drive (or Reverse).
Since the RE6025 included lower control arms and not uppers, am I correct to assume I need new bushings up top to fix this?

Thanks

I have the same lift how did you notice your axel moving? I get a pop sound when i let my foot off the break after backing up and have noticed a harsh jolt under the floor when hitting bumps on the road. i need to look at my bushings this weekend.

Same thing, Ram-rod. Thats probably what's happening on yours. I dont get it on bumps so much but I do think it has affected my alignement. Geometry has to change a bit when that axle is rocking back and forth.
I had my brother shift it in and out of gear while I was underneath watching.
(He's the only person I would trust enough to do that!)

If your bushing are shot, I would contact RE and see if they will warranty them. They had bushing problems about a year ago and will send you new ones if yours are part of the recall.

x2. if you laid underneath it you should know which bushings were allowing the axle to move. i wouldnt be surprised if it were the rubber LCA bushings from RE. they are poop.

Thanks JEEPXJ - Three votes for the RE bushings. Now I know:)

Ahhh..."Diesel" - You remind me why I havent been on here for a couple of years.
Sometimes its not worth it to explain every detail of a question or why I havent narrowed it down myself. Just looking for some ideas and I received some answers, that was all I wanted.
Hope you feel better about yourself after getting on the INTERNET and being a jerk. Probably lead a misarable life. Cheers to you.

Thanks JEEPXJ - Three votes for the RE bushings. Now I know:)

Ahhh..."Diesel" - You remind me why I havent been on here for a couple of years.
Sometimes its not worth it to explain every detail of a question or why I havent narrowed it down myself. Just looking for some ideas and I received some answers, that was all I wanted.
Hope you feel better about yourself after getting on the INTERNET and being a jerk. Probably lead a misarable life. Cheers to you.

are you XXXXing kidding us? dry your kleenex and go look, diesel is a klnowledgeable person who just wasted his time trying to help you. get over it, this isnt church.
i cant see a single XXXXing thing that's offensive about his post, so if you cant handle it, gtfo my internets

like said, he meant no offense. all he stated was the obvious, just go look underneath and be sure what you will be replacing is the right part.

Yeah, I understand. I asked for advice and his was to take a look under the Jeep.
Now I know to take a closer look at the RE bushings. I had no idea they were notorious for being crap.

Yeah, I understand. I asked for advice and his was to take a look under the Jeep.
Now I know to take a closer look at the RE bushings. I had no idea they were notorious for being crap.

Your question was "should I assume it is the uppers". There is a 50/50 chance of it being uppers and a 50/50 chance of it being lowers. We could have all made assumptions and we all have a 50% chance of being right. The only way to know what you need to replace is to get under it and look.

If you aren't sure what you are looking at and need help, post up some pictures and we can help you identify the bad ones. If you lived close, I'd even come over and look at it for you.

x2. i wouldnt be surprised if it were the rubber LCA bushings from RE. they are poop.

^^^^this

I just replaced both rubber LCA bushings on my RE arms. Flex joints still okay. I've had these particular arms for about 3yrs. First time the rubbers needed to be replaced.

My truck was doing the same thing the OP mentioned. So I grabbed ahold of the LCA when the truck was sitting on the ground and I could move the rubber end on the truck end about a .25 inch. Yeah, they were shot.

Just FYI

As i stated above i hvae the same sort of problem but i am going to check my uppers now also being they are stock with 87,000 miles on them and the rest of the suspension was pretty much shot when i installed the lift. When i lay under mine and grab a hold of the lowers i can not get them to move. interesting info though

Thanks everyone. When I was under the Jeep the first time it was just for a quick look in the driveway. Dark, cold, and I didnt want to spill my beer...
I had been thinking about the possibilities in my head when I posted the OT so that when I get back under there this weekend I would have narrowed it down a bit.
Diesel - Sorry about the sand in my vagina

Might be worth calling RE and seeing about getting free replacement bushings. Mine went south shortly after installation. I put up with the popping for a while, then decided to swap them out. RE was good and sent me a set for free. No more popping and the ride is as good as it ever was.

I think Im going to call them today. I bought the kit from Quadratrac but figure I'll start with RE. Sure will be happy to get this crap taken care of.

Back