• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clayton Offroad Leaf Springs

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My new Clayton leafs have been on the XJ about a month. I went wheeling once at Rausch since they have been on. Are they supposed to look like this? (see pics) They are sitting flat, almost inverted, Do I need shims? Boomerangs?
Specs: C.O.R. 4.5" leafs, shackle relocation brackets, Iron Man shackles, no shims. XJ was partially loaded when pic was taken, some tools, spare D30 shafts, drive shafts & miscellaneous "stuff". (Front has Iron Rock 4" springs with ACOS and there is a sag in the rear. Any ideas?)

img0838j.jpg

img0844ns.jpg

img0845y.jpg

img0846z.jpg

I believe Clayton uses R.E. springs, if so that is normal for R.E., what is the number painted on top of the spring?
I've been to claytons shop and have talked to clayton himself, I dont think they use RE springs, they have them made for them from another company.

I know Claton is a great guy and I love his products!
Darn internet is full of lies.

He was not totally off base. Clayton used to source leafs from RE and another company. RE for western sales, and the other company (I forget who it was) for eastern sales. The guy I ordered from told me about it, and the set I got came straight from RE, and had the RE part numbers on it:viking:
However, I think I read a while back that they switched to a dedicated manufacturer.

My RE 4.5" sit with more arch than that and thats with 200 pounds of tools and trail spares in the back. those leaves look thin to me

All these responses echo what I was afraid of. I thought that because they weren't shimmed that they'd appear flattened out like that. But 1 month? Boy, I hope Clayton can fix this. I don't drive the XJ on road normally altho I have been doing so on & off since R'fest. I'm hoping to identify & repair any little "things" before it picks up winter duty. But that's all the use these springs have seen, 1.5 miles to work - and back.
Pic request: Anyone that has the same or similar setup please post pics that I can use for comparison.

Problem is, even if Clayton sends new springs, it's gonna cost me to have them swapped. I'm going to send him the pics & see what kind of response I get.

regardless of who manufactured the spring for clayton, that is NOT the advertised 4.5". its not a super clear photo but you can still see the arch in the spring (no relocation brackets). yours looks flat.

46071_111459292241829_100001332774399_75101_2030553_n.jpg

id call clayton and explain the situation. as a reputable manufacturer id ask them to replace it and cover shipping of your current spring back to them.

IIRC, Clayton has his leafs custom made by a local spring shop, at least he used to.

Are you getting any axle wrap? Some shackle brackets and longer shackles (along with other factors) can add some more leverage on things and more wrap. Alot of wrap can kick the crap outta leafs packs and make them sag ass. Also, what's you do for a break-in on the leafs when first installed?

Did you set your bumpstops? Alot of people neglect this crucial part of suspension systems. If you don't extend you bumpstops, you will invert your leaf springs, causing premature wear on your leaves. Extended shackles will also flatten leaf springs more than stock shackles.

Did you measure the current lift height? If it's less than advertised then there might be a chance of getting replacements.

Last edited:
Claytons springs are made by a diff company(not RE). They get 6.5s and take a leaf out for 4.5s. Im sure Clayton will help you out he is a very reasonable guy.

Back