• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hydro assist help

themud

NAXJA Forum User
Just finished setting up and installing my box and ram setup and noticed its a bit laggy at idle if I give it a couple hundred rpm or so it does much better so the question is do I drill out the piston like west texas offroad says or do I put a psc 4.5" pulley?

It seems to do just fine at 45 or so in fact its down right darty(I need to get used to the power there and my steeringg no longer wanders) so that helps as well.. Just not sure if I want to spend the 50 bucks for the pulley?? I have no problems dropping the coin for it but if drilling out the piston does the same thing itll be cheaper but I don't need anymore assist at high speed which is why Im leaning towards the pulley??

thanks for the help.
themud

I run the smaller pulley and a high volume pump. Yes it gets a bit twichy at 80. I had the Dakota box and got rid of it because it had a faster ratio as well.

You think I should just start with the pulley then and mod the pump as needed??

I don't want to switch out the box and go back to the xj box instead of my yj box..

themud

If you get the pulley and don't like it, I'm sure you could resell it in short order.

I have a 2 and 3 jaw gear puller how hard is it to swap over?
I also have a 30 ton press if needed but I don't think thatll work on the pump without crushing it..
can I just use the new nut with a washer and drive it on that way??

thanks
themud
looks like Ill get the pulley first will that really ramp up the pressure at higher rpms or do they stay relatively the same?

NEVER pull a power steering pulley without a cage type puller or you will ruin the pulley. Autozone has one available in their loaner program.

i used the stock box and pump and just added the psc pulley to mine. i also did the west texas mod after just to give it that little bit extra. but the pulley makes a world of a difference

Back