• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

27 spline 8.25 first hand experience questions

Jeep450r

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Who here has broken a 27 spline 8.25 shaft? If you have, what were the conditions? IE: Tire size? Locked? mud? rocks? pin it to win it?

Who here is successfully running 33" or larger tires on 27 spline shafts? Under what conditions? Locked? Mud? Rocks? etc.

Only respond if you, or a close wheeling buddy has had experience with it. I don't need to know about your uncles' doctors' sisters' ex-boyfriends' twice removed cousins' room mates experiences.

33's on an open 27 spline with 3.54's for about 8 trips. I wheeled in Pismo and Hollister CA, a mix of mud, trails, obstacle courses and some rocks (not like the rubicon or anything). Very hard on the skinny pedal.

Never broke a shaft on the rear, but broke 2 on the front 30

ran a welded 27 spline on 33's and then when i upgraded to the 35's.

when on 33's was a lot of snow bashing and throttle, when i went to 35's it was a good amount more rocks and less throttle. the 35's broke the welds and destroyed a spidergear, but did NOT break a shaft...

I have a 27 spline w/ 4.56 gears and a LSD. 33 inch Trxus MTs. Its seen rocks, mud, just about every kind of wheeling condition you can think of. Its help up great for 5 years. In that time I sheered teeth of my dana 30's ring gear on two separate occasions.

I finally broke it when my rear tire hit a large power line pole laying on the ground. I was going about 40 mph which bent the axle tube pretty significantly. The axle shaft did not bend.

I replaced it with another 27 spline axle from the junkyard

I wheeled a 27 for a number of years before shredding its spiders. I never broke or bent a shaft with 33's with LSD(that worked) and 3.55s. I wheeled it in mud, rocks, did plenty of Moab trails with it, and broke a rear leaf pack main spring before the axle really ever gave me a fit. This is all with an AW4 though, and moderate to heavy throttle input.

Whereas i have twisted a 30spl D44 shaft locked with 4.10s, 33s and an AX15 just doing Hells Revenge and Potato Salad Hill.

27 spline (probably, it's a 96 and I haven't checked), pin it to win it is my general behavior, it's open and hasn't broken yet in 6 trips. I give it maybe another 2-3 trips before I blow a shaft or a spider or something... need to check spline count and pick up some spare parts.

I'm on 33s, but they're AT tread and I'm out east so they pretty much don't stick to anything (slippery muddy rocks and such.) That probably has kept it alive this long.

Haven't blown up a 30 shaft yet either (I have 297 joints in it, stock, but carry spares) but again it's probably only a matter of time.

I ran 33's and 35's on a 27 spline 8.25, welded with alloy shafts. It held up to everthing i through at it; rocks, mud, heavy throttle, bouncing around

I run a 27 spline with a detroit and stock shafts on 33's and I don't baby it but I am smoothe with the throttle. I have never had an issue. I wheel rocks and sand.

I so needed this thread. You guys have enabled me to spend less money on axles/diffs/gears/etc and more on snorkels, tires, and lifts!
Thanks

27sp.. 33s, lock right, wheeled pretty hard. i locked it in 07, sold the axle to a buddy.. the kid ran it harder than i did til two months ago when he killed his XJ. now the axle is going into one of our buddy's g/f's YJ on 35s.. it' probably got 180k or more on it now... all original save for brakes haha.

I have a 27 spline 8.25. 4.88's, Powertrax No-Slip, 35's, and stock shafts.

I have wheeled this thing pretty hard and I have yet to break a shaft.

Truth is your going to break a chromoly D30 shaft before you break a stock 8.25 shaft in almost any situation.

I run a 27 spline with a detroit and stock shafts on 33's and I don't baby it but I am smoothe with the throttle. I have never had an issue. I wheel rocks and sand.

I ran this setup for several years without any problems. Scored a good deal on a high pinion 9" and that's the only reason I changed.

i have a 93 cherokee and i have a 27 spline and 35s (open diff), i beat the holy piss out of it and have never had a problem...... yet haha. i do mud, snow, rocks, and hill climbs with lots of bouncing and such. im suprised it hasnt broken yet.

Last edited:
I ran a welded 8.25 on 33s with stock gears. I broke a weld once, but nothing else was hurt. We rewelded it and kept playing. I was mostly running rocks and trails at that point. However, I am fairly careful with the throttle. Having the 4.9/AW4 combo has spoiled me compared to when I wheeled a stickshift Tracker.

33's and 35's, 4.56's, open, have had it for four years now and done a lot of the harder trails in moab and a ton of local snow and boulder field wheeling with no problems. Got it off my buddie who was very hard on it, he had it for probably three years on 33's and 35's without any problems.

Back