• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help

geewally9

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I have a 96 Jeep cherokee with 5spd and front axle is dana 30 from an 2001 xj with 4.10 gears and lockright locker. Well here for a while the front has been popping and clicking pretty loud. Well I changed the front fluid and no metal shavings were found. Here are the things that I've noticed and would like it if someone could help me figure out what to fix so I can have my 4x4 working for the winter.

I've noticed:
- The front end was acting like it was grinding when I would come to a stop or start slowing down.

- the yoke going into the axle where front axle bolts up has play in it from 1 o'clock to about 2:30-3. (hopefully that makes sense, it free spins that much before grabbing)

- I tried tightening the pinion nut but it didn't budge

- The front driver side axle end u-joint has some play and I will soon replace

- I pulled the front driveshaft off and it has no play in it (it's a slip one that can move)

- The grease nipple for the u-joint at the transfer case end of the driveshaft is broke partly off

- I am driving without the front driveshaft now and there isn't any loud popping while turning, and not really as much grinding noise when slowing/stopping.

I think that is all that I've noticed, but if I think of something I will add it. Is the front yoke supposed to have that much play in it? What could be the loud grinding/popping noise? Thanks for any help.

Sounds just like a worn out axle shaft joint to me. Try spinning the front pinion by hand while looking at the axle shaft U joints. More than likely your slop is just coming from a toasted joint.

Why would it change in intensity if the driveshaft is on compared to when it is off? I planned on doing the driverside u-joint but I'll probably just do both while I'm at it.

As far as the popping and clicking--with a lunchbox locker you really need to make sure both tires are of equal size and inflated appropriately.

Like men, not all tires are created equally! :D :D

You can pull both front wheels, mark the sidewalls with chalk, and put a mark on the ground then roll one of the tires one complete revolution. Measure the distance. Repeat with the second wheel. Compare the measurements. You want them very close.

Last edited:
Back