• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$2000 budget wish list

LYKOS

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 XJ Sport with a 3 1/2 Superlift on it.

31x10.50s on stock wheels.

I have $2000 to burn on it.

The goal is to have a capable, not really a rock crawler, trail rider that doesn't get stuck.

With the $2000 budget in mind how would you spend it?

I'm looking for ideas.

BTW, I have a set of bumpers on the way. So you needn't include that in the budget.

And I know $2000 won't get me "there" but it's a start.

Depending on the transfer case put lockers front and rear, throw an inexpensive winch on your new front winch bumper.

33s from CL, selectable front, welded rear, hi-lift + recovery strap, recovery points if your new bumpers don't have any.

I would long arm upgrade. Aussies front and rear, and an SYE with new DS if you don't have one. And some cheap 33's

lockers front and rear, sliders, HD steering set up and go.

if you chose to get a winch go smittybuilt. great prices. plus you will rarely use it anyways. with left over money get some spare parts to carry with ya while trail riding

32" or 33" tires with wheels, skids, undercoating, off-road lights, winch and lock at least the rear. Should get you through a lot, keep your rig protected and give you a way out if you do get stuck.

If you don't want to get stuck . . .
1. Winch
2. Lockers
3. Gears

Sell your current tires, buy used or treadwright tires buy the best rear axle you can afford, gear it appropriately, get lockers, buy a winch if you want to get yourself unstuck (it will happen) or get recovery gear to get pulled out.

You don't need lift to be capable, bigger tires and a little sheet metal trimming can do a lot for a capable rig.

Here is what I have on the 4wd hardware shopping cart wish list so far

Smittybuilt XRC 10 winch $522.49

Powertrax Locker Front $450.29

Powertrax locker rear $431.29

Teraflex SYE $216.59

4wd.com total so far $1640.61

Ebay Wheels $290.65 set of five

that about covers the $2000 and gives me a good base to work with.

Gears and tires will come when my 31' AT's are worn out.

Stuff needed for installation, and the front driveshaft (I can use a front drive shaft for the rear with the SYE right?) can come out of a weekly paycheck.

Given the light to medium wheeling I do, and your suggestions, I think this will be a decet set up.

I'll be making my own sliders and and skid plates when we do the bumpers.

Thoughts?

And I have a question as this XJ is my daily driver.

I've had 2wd trucks and sprts cars in the past with Dtroit lockers in them. So I am used to driving with the clicking and popping and quirky cornering of a locked rear.

With 32x 11.50's ( the next tire I buy) will the stock axle shafts handle the lockers or am I VERY likely to start popping axles?

And how does a front auto locker act when you're not in 4wd? I'm assuming that with no power going to it all you have to deal with is the noise right?

I'm pretty anxious to get all this on before it snows. I live in an old hunters cabin in the middle of nowhere with a half mile of gravel driveway to the hard top. At 2800' elevation we get, and keep, snow up here. I'd rather not get stuck and have to eat my pets for food in a blizzard... LOL

1. Reinforce the steering box i.e. C-Rok steering brace
  2. LCA Skids
  3. T-Case Skid
  4. Gas tank Skid
  5. Alloy front shafts with 760 joints
  6. True Trac front
  7. Yukon Grizzly or Detroit rear
  8. 4.56 gears
  9. SYE
  10. Heavy Duty diff covers i.e. Ruffstuff, Riddler, BTF
  11. Winch

Powertrax Locker Front $450.29

Powertrax locker rear $431.29

Teraflex SYE $216.59

4wd.com total so far $1640.61

Ebay Wheels $290.65 set of five

that about covers the $2000 and gives me a good base to work with.

Gears and tires will come when my 31' AT's are worn out.

Stuff needed for installation, and the front driveshaft (I can use a front drive shaft for the rear with the SYE right?) can come out of a weekly paycheck.

Given the light to medium wheeling I do, and your suggestions, I think this will be a decet set up.

Thoughts?

Why wheels? Unless you're getting them for backspacing and future use with the 32s, I'd stick with stockers. Also, I'd go with Aussie lockers instead of Powertrax for the simple reason that they're inexpensive and reliable. If you said already, sorry, but what axles and gears do you have? With 31-32" tires, 4.10 gears would be really good for both on and off-road driving. If you've got a D35 in the back, I'd recommend getting a Chryco 8.25 from a 96-7+ since they are 29 spline, something I've already done. Quick bolt in, no hassle and a plus if you find one out of an auto 4cyl.
Edit: $2000 to play with? I wish I had this problem...
Edit #2: Instead of making sliders, cut out the rockers and weld in 2x5 steel tube. And I see you said the tires and gears will be done together, but if your 31s are still good, it won't hurt to grab 4.10s from a salvage yard.

Last edited:

Thoughts?
Go to winchdepot.com for the winch. $399.99 with free shipping. With that price difference, you could almost get a synthetic line for the winch.
http://www.winchdepot.com/Winches-W...8&t_s=300&t_pt=100702&t_pl=6426&t_pn=S/B97210
For sliders, I second he idea of cutting out the stock rockers and welding in some 2x6 box tubing with some legs run up to the pinch seam and chassis.
I've had 2wd trucks and sprts cars in the past with Dtroit lockers in them. So I am used to driving with the clicking and popping and quirky cornering of a locked rear.

With 32x 11.50's ( the next tire I buy) will the stock axle shafts handle the lockers or am I VERY likely to start popping axles?

And how does a front auto locker act when you're not in 4wd? I'm assuming that with no power going to it all you have to deal with is the noise right?

I'm pretty anxious to get all this on before it snows. I live in an old hunters cabin in the middle of nowhere with a half mile of gravel driveway to the hard top. At 2800' elevation we get, and keep, snow up here. I'd rather not get stuck and have to eat my pets for food in a blizzard... LOL
Axle should be fine with the locker and 32s. The new Detroits are actually pretty smooth. I have one in my D44, and there's very little clicking and popping from it. I'd consider maybe an ECTED or other selectable locker for light wheeling and snow driving. When in 2wd an auto locker up front will have little to no effect on your driving.

Back