• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extended fronty brake lines dana44

xjbubba

NAXJA Member # 1524
After recent mods to my front suspension, including new, longer travel shocks, my front brake lines are now acting as "limit" straps.
My knuckles are '76 Chevy K10, with high steer arms. They use a 7/16 banjo bolt to attach the flex brake lines. I'm currently using RE1552, 22in lines purportedly for a "CJ '77-'81". The 22's are too short. I need at least 26inches, with 28 preferred. RE has a 28 inch set, RE15555, but it's not clear if they will fit the '76 Chevy caliper. I asked RE but got no response.
I know some of you guys must be running high steer Chevy knuckles, using lines in the 26-28 inch range. The Ford and post '81 Jeeps seem to all use a 3/8 diameter banjo bolt; I need to use 7/16, and don't want to drill out the smaller fittings.
Any help would be appreciated
Searching "modified" and "Advanced" tech was no help.

I've heard of people using stock late model chevy 1/2ton brake lines. Might run up to O'riellys and take them a brakeline, see if u can find something that will work. If not u can run up to a local hyraulic shop, im sure they can make u up a set, they are usually cheaper than having an acutal brakeline company make up a custom set.

Thanks for the suggestion. No harm in checking out the Chevy truck stuff, but I think the latter stuff uses metric banjo bolts, smaller than 7/26.
As far as finding a local shop to build flex lines, I couldn't find anyone here to put a flare on a piece of 3/16, stating liability issues. Got to love the "left coast".

As I recall, you don't say which RE lines you're using in your write-up (nice write-up, by the way). I'm currently using the RE1552, which are 22" long, and advertised as being for a '71 CJ; the 7/16 banjo bolt fits those. RE's longer lines (28"), have part # RE15555, but it's not clear what they are intended for--YJ, or CJ?? So which part number did you use?

As I recall, you don't say which RE lines you're using in your write-up (nice write-up, by the way). I'm currently using the RE1552, which are 22" long, and advertised as being for a '71 CJ; the 7/16 banjo bolt fits those. RE's longer lines (28"), have part # RE15555, but it's not clear what they are intended for--YJ, or CJ?? So which part number did you use?
They are just the standard RE lines they make for their lift kits. I think they are actually the lines that came on my original 4.5'' lift kit.

Not sure that helps any, sorry.

Back