• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 XJ 5 Speed Won't Get In/Out of Gear

ZMagic97

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there,

About 3 months ago I got my 95 XJ, it's the 4.0 with a 5 speed manual. It was running great until I noticed I couldn't get the thing out of gear on my way home from work. Being that I was working a lot, I put it in the garage and started to diagnose the issues slowly. I noticed for one thing, it was tough to get in and out of gear when the clutch was pressed in, and upon inspection of getting it home, the clutch pedal was "spongy" and didn't have much pressure. The first thing I did was drop the trans out and decided my throw out bearing was looking rough, so I changed it. Everything looked ok beyond that so the trans went back in with a new slave cylinder. Once I get it all hooked up, it screams and squeels with the clutch pedal pushed in. So, the trans came back out. This time around, I machined the flywheel, installed a new pilot bearing, a clutch and pressure plate, and a slave cylinder. So, pretty much everything but new gears. I take it outside, step in on the clutch pedal, and it sounds fine with no noises, but I can't shift into anything, and the only thing close is reverse but it grinds. I can put it in gear when it is off, then start it in gear and drive it, but it won't leave gear. (I can start it in first, and drive, but can't get to another gear or neutral). Is there something I am missing? I can't think of anything else besides I may have gotten a faulty slave cylinder :banghead:

Seems to me the slave cylinder isn't giving enough travel.

Hi there,

About 3 months ago I got my 95 XJ, it's the 4.0 with a 5 speed manual. It was running great until I noticed I couldn't get the thing out of gear on my way home from work. Being that I was working a lot, I put it in the garage and started to diagnose the issues slowly. I noticed for one thing, it was tough to get in and out of gear when the clutch was pressed in, and upon inspection of getting it home, the clutch pedal was "spongy" and didn't have much pressure. The first thing I did was drop the trans out and decided my throw out bearing was looking rough, so I changed it. Everything looked ok beyond that so the trans went back in with a new slave cylinder. Once I get it all hooked up, it screams and squeels with the clutch pedal pushed in. So, the trans came back out. This time around, I machined the flywheel, installed a new pilot bearing, a clutch and pressure plate, and a slave cylinder. So, pretty much everything but new gears. I take it outside, step in on the clutch pedal, and it sounds fine with no noises, but I can't shift into anything, and the only thing close is reverse but it grinds. I can put it in gear when it is off, then start it in gear and drive it, but it won't leave gear. (I can start it in first, and drive, but can't get to another gear or neutral). Is there something I am missing? I can't think of anything else besides I may have gotten a faulty slave cylinder :banghead:

Seems to me the slave cylinder isn't giving enough travel.

The likely flaw in the slaw.

Cleaning up the surface of the flywheel is Ok to remove a glaze. Chryco specifies REPLACE the flywheel if it needs resurfacing.

Others will post up that they have successfully resurfaced their flywheels. Good for them.

Yours was resurfaced in the past or too much was taken off this time.

Options: install a longer rod at the slave OR install a MC with a larger bore OR replace the flywheel.

Roll your own (make it). Yes, it will slip right out.

Good luck.

I have a machine shop at work that can make a new rod on Tuesday, but before I get one made I noticed my clutch is still spongy. Perhaps I still have air in the line. I'll go pump the pedal another good 20 times or so to be sure.

Update: I ended up taking off the slave cylinder and pumping it about 30+ times and my buddy said some air came out. Sometimes a lot, sometimes some very small bubbles, and sometimes no air at all. After 6 pumps while changing the position of the slave, no more air came out. So, we turned it on and tried to get it in gear...no dice. For some reason it still won't disengage. At this point the clutch pedal is still spongy, and no fluid leaves the reservoir of the master when pumping the pedal. I went back in, looked through posts on here, and heard of someone who bled the system a bit, refilled it, and was successful. So, I tried that. After some bleeding and a refilling, the clutch pedal feels tight and how it did prior to any problems. However, I still can't get it to disengage and no fluid movement in the master reservoir. Maybe I should try a complete drain and refill of the system?

that's how I bled my slave, took it off, tipped it line up and pumped it. Nothing else worked.

Ok, so yesterday I FINALLY got it working. Left it at my parents for a while and decided to just buy the sealed master and slave unit. I got it all installed, started it up, and shifts like butter. Drove it to work today on the freeway (about 45 miles) and it was great. The "Check Engine" light is on now, but seems to run fine. I'm just happy it runs and drives. I'll start looking into why the light is on soon.

Back