• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1.25" Spacers behind Eccos

*Jonathan

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a set of 15x7 OEM Ecco wheels really cheap. I was going to use them as wheels on my trailer, but I'm really thinking about putting them on the XJ. Right now I have soft 8's 15x7 with 4" Backspacing. I'm running treadwright 31" guarddogs. This combo seems to really work for my 4.5" RC lift. The tires sit nice and flush with the fenders.

Is my theory correct that if I run 1.25" spacers behind the Eccos I'll essentially give the wheel a 4" backspace. The Ecco's have a 5.25" Backspace to start.

Seems elementary, but I just want to make sure I have that right.
Also, any reason I should just stick with the Cragars?

You are correct.

The only downside is that a spacer bolted to a wheel is probably not as strong as a one piece wheel, and spacers cost extra.

Thanks man. Yea I figured that strength might be an issue. Another thing I just thought of is that if I wanted to use my cragars again, I'd have to put all new wheels studs in since they all would have needed to be trimmed to fit the spacer. No switching wheels back and forth unless I get another set with a 5.25 backspacing. Oh well.. I'll probably just leave well enough alone.

strength isnt an issue at all IMHO.

this is the BS youre looking at:

2782960866_6ba4a4b696_z.jpg

2782106829_2f1bedf408_z.jpg

granted, they're 33s but its the same offset- 1.25" spacers on eccos.

and yes i'm a pic whore.

I ran 31's on my Eccos with 1.25" spacers and I liked it. No rubbing issues anywhere. Now I run 33x10.5's on the same setup and love it. A minor bit of rubbing at full lock on the LCA but I already have plans to fix that.

BTW I am running Eccos on my trailer too and I had to open up the center hole on the rim before it would fit over the hub on my axle. (3500lb axle, 5 on 4.5 pattern.) I used a hole saw to do the rough opening and then a die grinder to clean it up.

I just took the Ecco's off my rig to get the proper backspacing while avoiding using spacers. I loved the look of the Ecco's, just didn't like the issues the extra backspacing caused. In addition to the above mentioned issues/non-issues with spacers, my primary reason for avoiding them is that they make working on your brakes, axles, etc. a pain because they have to be removed to gain access to those parts. Most spacers I've seen are supposed to be bolted on with Red Loctite. Not much fun to deal with for routine maintenance or emergency repairs.

Back