• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do all police package XJ's that have a 242 come with the 242HD?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
About to go look at a 97 XJ w/ the police package. It has a 242 and I'm just wondering if it's likely to have the regular 242 or the 242HD???

Wow, learn something new every day... Never realized the police package XJs with the 242 came with a 242HD. Parts catalog backs this up, and indicates that export models with the 242 got it as well. Parts breakdowns don't show anything different between the two, but I'm assuming that is wrong.

If you look at the round New Process Gear tag on the back driver side of the transfer case housing, it should say 242HD if it has an HD model.

I went and looked at it. Couple minor problems but it was real nice overall. I think it was repainted the factory color because there was over spray on the fender flares and unibody rails.

They were asking 3995 and I offered 3k which they wouldn't take. Had factory skids and front and rear tow hooks. Driver side pillar spot light, extended idle switch. and rubber floors. Also had the upcountry suspension which felt surprisingly nice. Lots of holes drilled from where equipment was mounted.

Last edited:
Well, did it have the 242HD--curious minds want to know!

I have a 99 with the police package, the process package tag is stamped 242 "J" on the top line, I could not find HD anywhere on the tag. Is the J stamped on the civilian models?

the 242 in my 89 wagoneer limited has 242 J on the tag. so im betting that is the regular "civilian" model.

About to go look at a 97 XJ w/ the police package. It has a 242 and I'm just wondering if it's likely to have the regular 242 or the 242HD???

FWIW, I've heard about the NP242HD being in the police models as well as seeing the parts listing, but have yet to find one with the NP242 that isn't an NP242J; this applies to both the '87-'96 and '97-'01 models. My guess is that they were an extreme-duty option offered as an alternative to the NP242J, and very few fleet managers opted to spend the extra money on them since fleet vehicles tend to be equipped to a price.

The other thing is that in smaller jurisdictions it's not unusual for the local PD to order one or two regular production vehicles from the local dealer, then add their own improvements to them at the motor pool - we've got two XJs in police service here that got exactly this treatment. From talking to the motor pool manager of the local PD a while back, this happens largely because auto manufacturers may not give fleet pricing on vehicle orders below a particular quantity, so buying one or two vehicles built to police spec works out to be more expensive than taking RPO vehicles and retrofitting them after delivery.

Not that this has anything to do with 242 "HD" TC's, but here's a pic of two Canton, MI, 1998 police packaged XJ's. Both have 242 TC's by looking at the Selec-Trac shifter.

CantonPoliceJeeps2.jpg

those are so awesome!

Did it have the D35 rear axle? Every police package XJ I've seen is a D35.

My SWAG is that they come with ABS, which requires a d35 from the factory - anyone know if this is correct?

If it has ABS, it's D35.

That's exactly what I was saying...

The point of my post was "do all/most police package XJs have ABS" not "do ABS equipped vehicles have d35s".

Pretty big police department--9842 vehicles?

on the subject of police jeeps, I have a question. My dads friend has a 03 (iirc) Police Laredo, with the 4.7 HO. How rare are those?!?! First laredo I have ever seen with a HO V8, I know it wasn't a civilian option.

Pretty big police department--9842 vehicles?

I was over there today trying to look under the rear end to see what kind of rear diff covers they had but couldn't see. I'm stupid but I'm no fool so I didn't crawl under them to get a look without permission (picture the scene in Dirty Harry...Do you feel lucky punk...).

A Cop pulled up so I asked him about the inventory numbers on their vehicles. He said the first two digits of the number was the last two digits of the year of the vehicle and the last two digits of the number are the numerical count, but they've changed to a different system now which he didn't understand. So, no, they don't have 9,842 vehicles in the fleet, but you'd think they could afford to based on the copious amounts of taxes the township collects.

Back