• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix Headers(1990 2-Door)

flynn78us

NAXJA Forum User
Well my exhaust is shot, leaking all over the place crackedheader and all that goodness. So I want to put in a nice header, high-flo cat, and an exhaust. My problem is all the header seem to be for 1991-to what ever. Why? I would love to see some exhaust port pic comparisons. I had a 91 2 door that burnt to the ground and cant remember how it looked. I thought the RENIX jeeps just had a differant fuel injection and electric set up. So is the head differand also? Can I just swap heads? Or do the exhaust ports line up?

Mike

I ran a Borla header on my 87 xj then swapped it to my old 90 xj and then gave it to my buddy to run it on his 88 mj. So if you are looking for a header for 87-90 renix jeeps, then borla makes it.
Good luck.

I have a Mopar/Mike Leach header. When I got it, it came without the EGR bung. Not knowing, I called and asked to have the correct header shipped. I was told to just ship the HO header back and they would add a EGR bung, and they did. Fits fine.

I have to say that I got less bang for the buck out of my $600 header, $200 cat and muffler, and $400 dollar custom exhaust than any of my other mods. YMMV.

Pacesetter makes headers still for the 87 -90 XJ, they are a quality product so you may have to pay a bit more. I bought one last year for my new engine.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Well my exhaust is shot, leaking all over the place crackedheader and all that goodness. So I want to put in a nice header, high-flo cat, and an exhaust. My problem is all the header seem to be for 1991-to what ever. Why? I would love to see some exhaust port pic comparisons. I had a 91 2 door that burnt to the ground and cant remember how it looked. I thought the RENIX jeeps just had a differant fuel injection and electric set up. So is the head differand also? Can I just swap heads? Or do the exhaust ports line up?

Mike

The heads are different, but the exhaust ports should line up (the intake ports were raised on later heads.)

The headache with RENIX headers is that the EGR valve that is on RENIX engines was deleted for 1991, and didn't come back. It should never have been installed, y'ask me (damn thing doesn't work, and I've got to find those before/after reports that show the engine runs cleaner without the thing - CA smog reports!) but we're stuck with the damned thing.

If you do not have a visual check, or the smog place doesnt know better, you can use the newer header and delete the EGR system.

The heads are different, but the exhaust ports should line up (the intake ports were raised on later heads.)

The headache with RENIX headers is that the EGR valve that is on RENIX engines was deleted for 1991, and didn't come back. It should never have been installed, y'ask me (damn thing doesn't work, and I've got to find those before/after reports that show the engine runs cleaner without the thing - CA smog reports!) but we're stuck with the damned thing.

The exhaust ports will line up. When installling the header pay close attention to possible interference issues between the rear of the intake manifold where it is closest to the header. Nothing you can't fix with a file in 5 minutes.

If you do not have a visual check, or the smog place doesnt know better, you can use the newer header and delete the EGR system.

Technically, it's still an EPA violation - you're deleting an "OEM Emissions Reduction Device," damn its dubious utility anyhow.

This is why I can't strip out the EGR, clean everything, and install a water/MeOH fogger instead (nevermind that it works better, runs cleaner, and won't crap up the intake with carbon like the damned EGR does. These rules are in place, even if they're written by people who have no idea what they're talking about...)

Technically, you can get away with removal if you're not subject to periodic inspection - but this isn't advocated because there's still a potential Federal issue if you get caught (which is why I've had to shut down threads that, personally, I'd rather have let stand. Rules is rules, y'know...)

The ports should line up on headers for newer engines, I'm still using that same header on the HO engine.
But there's no reason not to get the Pacesetter, it's a good product. The paint will catch fire the first time you start the engine, but after that it's great :laugh3:
I have welded the collectors to the downpipe now, and I wish I would have done that when I first installed it instead of using clamps.

Last edited:
Back