• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Impending Doom

Wayne Sihler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
engine failure is in the future for my 96 with 323,000 miles on the engine.Coolant usage is on the rise as well as varying oil pressure.

A rebuild of the current motor wouldnt be able to be done(space/time) and junk yards around here want around $800>1000 for a used engine with little warranty .
So who makes a re-manfactured engine--ATK,Jasper,Grooms, any others I need to look at would be helpful.

Yes a stroker would be nice but too much money----

Wayne

pretty sure if you buy a jasper it has to be installed by a pro. You can have an ATK shipped to your door by calling q-tec. They even pay for you to ship them your old core iirc.

i have bought and installed jasper engines in my garage...

my dad who is an ASE master tech bought it through work.... not sure if it matters though

Pretty sure Jasper has to be installed by a pro for their warranty, and I've heard conflicting reviews about their products.

Drive up here for a weekend. Warn me a couple weeks ahead of time and we can go pull a 4.0 at the junkyard near me for under 250 with a warranty, or about 100-150 without.

Heck, there is a guy in western mass selling an already pulled 4.0 from a 95 for $150 OBO iirc.

Start watching Craigslist for someone parting out a wrecked vehicle. Local guy just sold a low mileage engine/tranny from a rolled 95 for $400.

Getting it installed by a "Pro" is no problem.Just looking for more suppliers out there.
If you could ,what were the problems with the ATK engine?

Wayne

Getting it installed by a "Pro" is no problem.Just looking for more suppliers out there.
If you could ,what were the problems with the ATK engine?

Wayne

Ring gaps that were huge (.250 inch to over .500 inch).

Valve guides that never got reworked.

Valve seats that were not ground - supposed to be a 3 angle, and they were stock cuts.

Middle rings that were installed upside down.

Valve springs that were shimmed a ridiculous amount.

Machine work that was just plain ugly.

And this was one of their "special" engines for Jeepspeed. If their quality was so bad on a "performance" engine, I'd hate to see what their stock replacements look like.

yikes, sounds like something I'd expect to buy at harbor freight.

Ring gaps that were huge (.250 inch to over .500 inch).

Valve guides that never got reworked.

Valve seats that were not ground - supposed to be a 3 angle, and they were stock cuts.

Middle rings that were installed upside down.

Valve springs that were shimmed a ridiculous amount.

Machine work that was just plain ugly.

And this was one of their "special" engines for Jeepspeed. If their quality was so bad on a "performance" engine, I'd hate to see what their stock replacements look like.

Holley Sheetz !!

Sounds like a first attempt at building a lawn mower engine with a hammer and a rock !!.

And yet they boast about how many standards they meet.

Back