• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upgrade to 96 brakes

redwagon

NAXJA Forum User
So I can not find a pick a part that has that year.... SO I found a local wrecking yard who says they have the m/c and booster for $100 What else should I get? this will be going on an 89 XJ

The MC and booster is all you need, PROVIDED you get the hard lines that go from the master cylinder to the proportioning valve on the 96 as well.

You don't need the 96 proportioning valve itself, but you WILL need the lines going to it. Here's why:

The 96 MC has ISO-type "bubble" flared fittings, and the proportioning valve in your 89 has SAE-type double cone flared fittings. You will want to fashion custom hard lines from the 96 MC to your 89 proportioning valve. The one end will be bubble flared, the other end will be SAE flared.

The easiest way to do this is to buy some long hard lines that are flared ISO on both ends. Cut off one end, replace the flare nuts on the new tube with the ones that come off the 96 MC. Then bend and reflare the end that goes to the 89 proportioning valve with a conventional flaring tool.

I found it easier to adapt 2 lines from the MC to the existing prop. valve than it would be to adapt all the hard lines in the vehicle already to the 96 prop valve.

Good Luck.!!

The 96 valve I had took the same lines as the stock one. All I needed was to connect the 96 MC to prop valve lines and hook it all back up to the new valve, so not adapting. Was it an oddball?

Do I need to worry about on a 96 if it is non abs? Should I trust that part is a 96 Any way to tell , any other concerns? Trying to get parts am Saturday.

Thx,
Todd

LT1XJ said:
The 96 valve I had took the same lines as the stock one. All I needed was to connect the 96 MC to prop valve lines and hook it all back up to the new valve, so not adapting. Was it an oddball?

The prop valve on the 96 is mounted on a bracket and is attached to the MC. The prop valve on my 92 was located down alongside the booster, near the steering shaft. Both prop valves use SAE type flares, so compatibility here is not a problem.

However, the hard lines for the 96 MC won't reach the 92 prop valve, and the hard lines from the body on the 92 won't reach the 96 prop valve.

The solution is either:
1. extend or remake all the 92 body lines to the 96 prop valve (a PITA, in my opinion)
2. make new lines between the 96 MC and the 92 prop valve. I chose this route.

I was doing it on an abs 90 so I ended up flaring a line for the passenger side, The rest I was able to make work.
Dustin

Lines are still available at the dealer and they are a lot cheaper than you would think. I would think you could get the 96 lines and use them.

Back