• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about Chrysler 8.25

nwcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I've found a 8.25 out of a '94 XJ non-ABS so i'm assuming it's a 27 spline, 3.55 gears. Can this axle be upgraded to 29 or larger spline to accomodate a locker on 33's? I'm fairly new to the XJ's & i'm just doing my homework to make sure I don't end up buying a giant piece of scrap metal. I'm hoping to snag this axle & eventually go to atleast 29 spline, 4.11 or 4.56's and maybe a Lock-Right or True-Trac. Thanks for the help.

If its a automatic yes you can assume 3.55s. You don't have to go 29 spline but you'll need a new carrier to do so. I just waited until I found a 97 & up rear to get the 29 spline.

Pass on the 27 spline and keep checking your local chapter's for sale section.

When I was in the market for a 8.25 out of a newer XJ I was checking every few hours when I had the chance...found it and picked the axle up within an hour of it being posted due to the seller being 10 minutes away from me :)

your luck may not be as good as cherokeemanatee's but the odds are that you will likely find one that is exactly what you want. just be patient. you can even find them built for a reasonable price.

also, you may be able to use this site (though it will only list yards that upload their inventory):
http://www.car-part.com/

who knows... if you plug in an '88 you may be able to find an XJ44 in your area too.

just FYI, all 8.25s are non ABS and came in 3.07, 3.55, or 4.10 (never in 3.73).

As long as you're going to get 29-spline shafts and a replacement locker (Truetrac, Detroit, ARB, OX, et al), that housing will work just fine.

But if you get a lunchbox locker (Lockrite, No-Slip, Aussie), then you'll have to get a 29-spline carrier that will just add onto your total final cost. In which case, maybe you should pass and keep looking. Depends on how much you can get a 29-spline carrier for.

I run a 27 spline on 33s with 4.56 gears and a limited slip. I have literally beat the hell out of it and never broken an axle shaft. 29 spline may be a little stronger but the 27 spline is nothing to bat your eyes at either.

I run a 27 spline on 33s with 4.56 gears and a limited slip. I have literally beat the hell out of it and never broken an axle shaft. 29 spline may be a little stronger but the 27 spline is nothing to bat your eyes at either.

If he is going to put in a locker.... Doesn't that sort of change the carrier?

Depends on the locker, aussie locker or powertrax or lockright then no. Detroit, ARB or a full case locker then yes.

Chrysler 8.25 rear with 27 spline axels are a lot tougher then people give them credit for. They are larger in diameter then a Dana 35 and the taper is less in the 27 spline axel and compared to the 29 spline.

Depending on what you plan on doing with your rig, it makes no sense to change out to 29 spline unless you plan on going with tires greater than 33" and doing a lot of crawiling?

There is anonther option that will save you a little coin. Just buy new alloy 27 spline axels? At about a $100 per side, that is a lot cheaper then replacing your carrier, rebuilbing and setting up your 3rd member and it's plug and play. But you might want to replace your axel seals just as a precaution. Cheap insurance to avoid an oil leak.

Good luck and keep it between the ditches.

Yes you can upgrade to a 29 spline. I just had the gears in mine swapped to 4.10 and a Truetrac installed at the same time. I was told by Fly N Hi in Phoenix, AZ that it would cost another $245 parts $75 install if it needed to be upgraded from a 27 spline. However I had the 29 already so no worries for me.

i have a 27 spline with open diff and 35s...... i know the axle is gunna break but im surprised it still hasnt happened after six months already.

So can an Aussie locker be put in a 27 spline 8.25 if the axles are replaced with 29 spline axle, and would it then be as strong as a "full 29 spline" axle?

Back