• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 xj AC Bypass

mkloter

NAXJA Forum User
Ac bypass

This xj is my DD and the AC compressor clutch pulley went out.. surprise surprise. I needed this fixed asap and the yards around charged $150 for a crap compressor and I wasn't going to dump in a reman compressor and system recharge right at the beginning of winter (spending all my cash on my project ride). This way I can replace the compressor clutch bearing at my leisure and hopefully this info can help out a few.

I searched and searched but couldn't find any definite answers on how to get a bypass pulley on a 1999 the same day so I bit the bullet and bought napa's:

BK 6601819 (zj 4.0 ac delete Idler pulley I believe)

I was expecting to have to mod it in some way because some of you guys had said the offset was incorrect. This was a true statement but to my surprise the pulley comes with a spacer that you can remove the pulley and place the spacer behind the bearing to achieve the exact correct offset. Of the 3 bolts that come with the kit 2 are too long you can cut them i just rigged my rig with two nuts as spacers, I know ghetto. The bracket bolt pattern is spot on for the compressor though and no mods needed here, I did install the 3 short sleves that the kits came with.

I have been running the setup for two weeks with no problems

To recap: BK 6601819 bolts up to a 99 ac compressor patter but has the incorrect pulley offset. The kit does come with a spacer for the correct offset so no modifications are needed for propper operation.

Pics:

One
38919414003_large.jpg

Two
38919414002_large.jpg

Nicely Done!!!

All hail the newcomer!!

anything securing the existing compressor out of the way? I'd hate to have it bouncing around and potentially contacting the moving belt.

Well done, your sweat equity will help others down the road.

Just wanted to bump this because I have a question. Napaonline says this does not fit my 01 XJ and they have none that do. I hear that it's only listed for specific years so would this work on my 01?

Back