• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ome lift query

als xj

NAXJA Forum User
Is anyone familiar with DPG's OME "hybrid" ultimate lift kits...I'm looking to run 31 BFGs without trimming. The parts list does NOT include transfer drop,,,or SYE...will this cause vibration. I wish to maintain soft ride with light to moderate off road capabilities. My XJ is a 92 Laredo w/260k...still running strong!

I recently ordered an Ultimate XJ OME Hybrid 3.5" from Dirk at DPG. Give him a call he will go through everything with you and customize the lift. A 92 at 3.5" you should be fine without it.

I have the 4 inch OME/DPG suspension system on my 1999 Cherokee. Specs are in the signature. SYE was not optional on mine. I installed the Tom Woods SYE in my 242 case.

No trimming or rubbing. I did adjust the steering stops.

Thanks Mesh...let me know how the install goes. Thanks bwinter1949...any wobble...does your xj still maintain good or better on road handling?
Appreciate any input!

I have the 4” DPG OME lift. I added drop down brackets to his kit. Overall, I’m very happy with the on-road ride quality and off-road handling.

33846874015_large.jpg

Mine is going to consist of OME934 coils up front with a 3/4" spacer, not sure on the trackbar setup just yet, and some IRO control arms(possibly with DB's as well) In the rear I have Cs034ra leaf packs and HDOR shackle relocation brackets and may need to add a taller shackle, i'm not sure yet. I think its going to ride great and flex like crazy. I have trimmed fenders so I will probably run 33's since I run 31's on a BB currently and have no issues with rubbing.

Thanks dieselenthusiast...appreciate the pic. Any install glitches...would you have done anything differently?
Really appreciate everyone's helpful input!

Unless you’re an expert, the install takes a awhile because there’s so much that you’re changing. Besides what Dirk offers in his kit, I also added JKS bump stops, RE drop down brackets/braces, OME SD40 Steering Stabilizer, Tom Wood’s custom drive shaft (231 HD Standard), SYE kit, 4 degree shims, JKS adjustable bump stops, and Leaf Bushings.

I felt like I did my homework before I bought this lift. From what I’ve read, there isn’t a 4” inch lift kit that’s as good as this one if you’re looking for ride quality, durability, and mixed with excellent off-road quality. OME in itself is top quality. The JKS adjustable upper and lowers control arms and adjustable track bar is also top notch. Lastly, I factored in the weight of a JCR front bumper and JCR rear bumper to make sure the spring rate was adequate.

I installed my OME/DPG kit myself and as it was not my daily driver I took my time.

Tips:

Start spraying all the bolts with PB Blaster. I sprayed everything every day for a week before I removed one bolt. I did not break a single bolt.

Have four really good, large, and tall jack stands. A floor jack is a huge help.

Perhaps the hardest part for me was installing the JKS lower control arms by myself as the axle had to be pushed forward to reconnect the arms. Some people use a hand winch to something solid to pull the axle forward. I used an axle jack to push the axle forward.

You will need an angle finder to set your front pinion angle and front axle caster. Make sure you measure the front drive shaft angle and adjust the pinion angle for smooth operation. (Within 3 degrees)

After it is installed be sure to get the front alignment done. It will be off. They will need to adjust the front track bar and the toe in.

The ride on mine was a little sporty for me until I had installed my armor. Once I had the bumpers, skid plates, and rock rails on the ride is amazing. The word I use to describe it is plush. I did not install drop brackets. I considered them but after talking with Dirk I decided to wait and check the ride first. I am no longer considering drop brackets. The ride is great without them.

Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks for all the useful tips...I will take your wise advise....especially about the bolt blaster....my xj has some pretty rusty bolts underneath. I'll have some help on the install from a fellow xj owner. Do you have any pics of your rig? I like the look of dieselenthusiasts rig...not too tall, good COG, good stance. Now I guess I have to start saving up for the $1700. price tag (without rubber). One more query...can I mount 31 BFGs on my stock 92 Laredo Rims? Thanks again everybody!

Hmm, not sure why you would need that much lift to run a 31. Perhaps go w/ the OME kit and just add an inch to level you around 3". Here is mine w/ 1.75" spacer up front, OME full pack in the rear WITH the additional full length leaf added in, and a 1" extended shackle. Running 33x12.50x15 with minimal rubbing at full lock. Some minor trimming required. If i recall, i have 4"BS.
DSCN0673.jpg

You can probably piece together a lift that is just as good for less. Maybe check your local JY, craigslist, etc.

Nice pics bwinter...your rig sits Exactly where I'm looking to go...Thanks for all the great pics...it's real helpful to see other rigs which use the kit I'm looking at. I also like Chris's w/33's...very agressive looking. Looking for a good highway manner as well as light to moderate off-road capability.
Thanks for all the great advice and excellent photos...

What size tires??

Those are 15X7 Cragar Soft 8 wheels (4 inches of backspacing) with Toyo Open Country A/T 30X9.50R15. Once I re-gear to 4:10's, then I'll move up to a 31 inch tire.

Back