• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will dome lights still draw power with the bulbs removed?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
96 XJ dealing with a parasitic battery drain.

Both the front and rear dome light bulbs are removed and the little interior light bulbs under the dash are unplugged. With a door open the jeep is drawing .68 milliamps. With the door closed it only draws .01.

What I don't understand is why would that drain my battery because there are no interior lights to be turned on.

They should not - particularly since you removed the bulbs!

However, they're not the only thing that can draw power with the doors open vice closed - there's also the door annunciator (that irritating buzzer,) and "door ajar" indicators on the IP, and that sort of thing. Have you gone through the wiring diagrams just to see what all is connected to the door pin switches?

Ed - Also, are you sure about those draw specs? I'd have an easier time believing .68A (680mA) and .01A (10mA) than any sort of microampere readings (what you've posted - .68mA and .01mA - can also be read as 680 microamperes and 10 microampers - and I know ChryCo electronics aren't anywhere near that efficient!)

It's hard to think of a small leakage that might occur other than the buzzer, etc. that 5-90 reports, but how about the little light around the ignition switch?

You might also want to look at the rear cargo light if you have one, because they sometimes melt internally causing problems.

It's hard to think of a small leakage that might occur other than the buzzer, etc. that 5-90 reports, but how about the little light around the ignition switch?

You might also want to look at the rear cargo light if you have one, because they sometimes melt internally causing problems.

that's a very good point- I tend to forget that even though it's the older body, a lot of things changed in that year. I don't know how many other functions remain "live" for a short time after you close the door, but I'd say try waiting a few minutes after shutting the doors and re-checking.

Cargo light bulb is also removed...

It was the passenger rear door that I just happened to notice was open. The door buzzer has been removed.

I didnt think about the light around the key. I'll check that, thanks!

You have a light around the key in a 90?

Did you ever figure out if you were talking amps or milliamps for what you measured.

You have a light around the key in a 90?

Did you ever figure out if you were talking amps or milliamps for what you measured.
His handle is 90, but the vehicle in question is a 96, which as far as I know does, even in the base models.

Even with the bulb out you should check inside the rear light, because it's not uncommon for the light to overheat and melt the switch and associated wiring.

.68 milliamps would be nothing to think about, so I am guessing that the draw is .68 amps, or 680 milliamps, enough to pull down a battery in a good hurry, but not enough to make big sparks or blow fuses.

Back