• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help deciding on a lift for my XJ

coldoath

NAXJA Forum User
I have been looking at several 4.5" kits and haven't really found one that everybody loves. I've looked at Rusty's 4.5" full pack kit and RC's full pack kit, but it seems like they both have their issues. I really don't want to buy it and it fall apart on me in 5,000 miles. I probably won't be beating on it that hard as it is my DD and I'm in college and need it to last. RE is a little more expensive, is it worth the extra money?

So bottom line is...I am wanting a lifted DD rig that I can DD obviously and wheel, nothing too hardcore though. I'd like a 4.5" lift with 33" mickey thompson mtz's. I'm also not apposed to piecing together my own kit, just need some help in being pointed in the correct direction.

BTW it's a bone stock 1998 XJ.

Thanks guys!!!!!!!

Many on here don't like Rusty's stuff, but I currently have a 96 that has their 3" kit on it, and the thing rides almost as nice as my 08 silverado.

it's up to you what you do, but when I lift my 88, I know what is going on it based on cost vs function.

Yea I've heard love and hate stories for lots of manufacturers. Seems like some people put 25k miles on their kit no problem and others will drive it for a week before it falls apart. Which also makes me wonder if the ones who had it fall apart on them, if they really installed it correctly in the first place.

I feel your pain Coldoath, I've been debating and going back and forth on a lift kit since I bought my XJ over a month ago. I know I want to run 33's, I first debated getting a 3" lift and some flat fender flares, then I thought about buying UpCountry springs and leafs and doing it that way.

My current selection and hoping to order before too long is the 5.5" Long Arm lift from Iron Rock Offroad. http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...en=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-X5CPK

I figure that I'm going to need an SYE kit anyway and since I have the 242 I'm going to have to use a Hack-n-Tap to help out and skit the T-Case drop all together. My little Dana 35 in the rear is hopefully being replaced with a D44 before too long (crossing fingers).

My wife doesn't know about the lift yet, or the hack-n-tap, or the price of tires...better to beg forgiveness than ask permission right...guys, right...

Good luck with your choice.

drop the coin and do rough countrys long arm kit, nicer on road and better flex and handling off road. for what i spent on the lift and drop brackets it wouldve been like 50 bucks more for the long arms.... i was nieve at that time in my life, wait that was just last year....

Hahah wife doesn't know yet. Just order and install that sucker and say you can't return it ;)

Sounds like you're going balls to the wall man. GL with the build. However I'm just looking to gain some altitude, but not wanting to have to start replacing things 2 weeks down the road. I just bought it about 2 weeks ago and I'm already upset that I haven't ordered the lift kit.

Any reviews on ironrock stuff?

Also, you guys thinking I'll probably need a SYE and custom shaft or will shims and a drop kit for the trasfercase solve it?

The more I thought about it the more I realized that I would probably want to go higher than 3" so I decided to go big the first time around instead of buying everything (or almost everything) twice.

From what I've read about IRO, the reviews have been very positive. A couple of negatives here and there but every company has them.

At 3" (again from what I've read on here) you shouldn't need an SYE but it depends on what kind of vibrations you get. The Tcase drop kit is a band-aid at best from what I've been told. Some people at 3" have no vibs, others do. I think it's hit or miss with any lift kit and any XJ.

Yup, once I get (hopefully get) the D44, I'm going to through some new axles in it and re-gear it for 4.56. I think 4.56 might be overkill for 33's but if I ever decide to do 35's than the 4.56 will be fine. No lockers yet though.

If the D44 falls through than I'm not sure what I'm going to do because I don't think the D35 is strong enough for the 33s and certainly not for 35's or so what I've been told. Maybe I'll try finding a 8.25 at the local u-pull-it. We'll see, I'm really hoping to grab this D44.

Still looking for any input you guys got.

Seems like a lot of the issues stem from bushing problems and things of the sort. Haven't really noticed any real hardcore hardware failure. Heard that rough country leafs don't sag, but they do ride pretty rough...is this correct or can this be solved by better shocks?

Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!

Better shocks is always a good idea with RC kits unless you dont care like me. I've always driven a truck and always been rough trucks too so I dont notice. I'm going with the 3 inch RC lift with full leaf packs and standard shocks.

I know a lot of people care about the ride though but for me, its got coils in the front... it could be worse. lol.

Haha yea I kinda agree. I've ridden in some of my friend's CJs and wow I can't imagine it being that bad lol. Think I might just have to rock the 4.5" kit from RC. Although....

I did discover this: http://www.dpgoff-road.com/site/REXJhybridkits.htm

What you guys think about this kit?? Just looks like a combo of a few parts. Would like to keep the lift under 1k, not including gears and such. I can drive it at least for a bit without re-gearing it but definitely plan on getting it regeared and a sye kit with a shaft as soon as possible. idk if I even need the sye kit, just have to see once I get w/e kit I want installed.

Bahahaha!! I know what you mean. When I think I have finally found EVERY lift kit offered for the XJ I read some random thread from like 5 years ago and come across this one! It looks pretty legit though! Think I might have to roll with that one. Although I'll probably rolling pretty goofy for about 3 weeks with a 4.5" lift and stock tires/rims.

What tires you looking at 1BrokeXJ? I think I might go with some Mickey Thompson MTZ's on some 15" black rims.

To keep costs down somewhat and to keep the wife from completely cutting off my ring and pinion I'm probably going with Treadwright 33s with 16" black steel rims.

And yeah I was all set to order a RC 3" lift, then found the RE Super Ride 3.5", then the IRO 3", then settled on the IRO long arm kit until you showed up, lol.

I think I'm going to roll with the 3.5" and hopefully have to avoid getting a custom shaft and SYE kit. That'd save me about 400-500 bones. Which could then be put towards a locker or winch or whatever. Still gonna have to regear for the 33"s but that shouldn't be too expensive. Just ready to get that stock BS outa there! It looks so sad and tiny.

Oh btw man, check ebay out! I've just been looking at rubicon express kits on there and I see RE website prices on ebay BUT with FREE SHIPPING!! That's at least $118 saved! That's more like the price of a rearend regear!

I'm in the same boat - been looking at various kits and searching the forums and the net in general for feedback.
I like the look of the Iron Rock 5.5" kit, and I'm probably going to go straight to the SYE & driveshaft route, not even bother with the transfer case drop - that's always struck me as half-arsed.

have you looked at BDS? really nice long arm and LIFE TIME warrenty. even if you brake wheeling, they will cover it. spring sags, they cover it. goes on good. real four link, no radius arm crap.

Back