• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loose center armrest

kendrick

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I've searched and can't find anything. I'm getting my winter Jeep ready and I remembered something that's bugging me. The center armrest rocks back and forth like it's loose. It has since 2000. I tried fixing it way back when, but have ignored it ever since. My Jeep has now reached I'm keeping it forever status and I'm taking care of some things I ignored when I thought I was going to sell it. Does anyone else have this problem and is it an easy fix? When I took it apart years ago I could find anything obvious. Any input is always appreciated. Oh yeah, it's a 98 sport 4 door.

It's either the screws holding it down or the plastic mounts themselves. I've seen both cause this. For wallowed out screw-holes just fill them out with some felt or something. One of my XJ's had cracked mounts...nothing gorilla glue didn't take care of.

It should just be a bunch of phillipshead screws to break it down.

If you mean the lid on the console...it's held in the back by a hinge, and in the front by the latch.

If the hinge and connections to it are good then it's the front latch, which I think is adjustable. Even if not easy enough to replace.

If your XJ had the airbag module recall performed, which moves the module from the driver side floor to the rear of the center console, then your problem is the rear console bracket.

The bracket holding the rear console mounts around the relocated airbag module and is prone to cracking... even after repairs. I don't know what the original bracket looked like but I'm sure it was better than the redesign for the recall.

Where and how is it loose? Is it loose up front or back. Does it wobble to and fro? Can you tie it in a a knot? Can you tie it in a bow?

Back