• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sheared Tie-rod on Rusty's track bar

XJ-Mayhem

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Somehow my tie-rod end snapped clean on my way to school today...

IMG_4750.JPG

IMG_4751.JPG

I can't quite tell which tie-rod end it is however, so I can go pick one up from the Jeep service dept.

It looks like the 22mm one but I'm thrown off by the lack of nipple lol.

Also, any ideas how this could have happened? I really don't have time to be wheeling so I pretty much just drive it on the street...

I don't know if its related or not, but I get the shakes on the freeway (no sye, old steering stabilizer probably, etc) but one day I put it in Full Time for the rain and I noticed the shakes were gone unless I was coasting at freeway speeds downhill...so I've left it in Full Time for the smoother ride. Could the shake been from the trac bar?

If you scroll down to the similar threads section at the bottom of the page, there are several threads with the same issue, and the part numbers for replacement TREs.

I would suggest stepping up to a double shear setup instead of a TRE.

Not un-common with Rusty's trackbars,how much lift are you running? I completely agree on needing to upgrade to a good trackbar!

If you scroll down to the similar threads section at the bottom of the page, there are several threads with the same issue, and the part numbers for replacement TREs.

:banghead: damn was I one of those newbs who posted one of those questions answered a million times over :(
I hate that on my other forums, sorry..shoulda searched first.

My question is which TRE is it that I have, for some reason the Rusty's page won't fully load for me so I can't compare to the three or so they say they have used in the past.
Or do all TRE's have the same threads and will just fit in fine?

I would suggest stepping up to a double shear setup instead of a TRE.

I have no money to be upgrading right now, but where could I look to see about this?

I don't even have the money to get my winch mounted :( it just sits in my garage

Not un-common with Rusty's trackbars,how much lift are you running? I completely agree on needing to upgrade to a good trackbar!

Oh that's a shame to hear. I have their 4.5 kit with a .5" spacer I believe it was in front, but I actually would like to take that spacer out as I like low and stable better than high and wild. But then it seems the 4.5" leafs will be to tall for the rear and give it a funny stance, because it looks level now.

HOLY GINORMOUS PIX, BATMAN!!!!

I have been running the Rusty's steering for about three years, and the components have been used on two different rigs. I haven't had this issue yet, but I did wear out the actual joint without breaking it. Just call them and IIRC, they can tell which one you have if you measure diameter and such.

My .02

Same thing happened to my friends jeep. It broke as he was entering a corner and he lost steering. After that, I ordered a rubicon express hd tracbar for piece of mind. Here's a video of his jeep after the accident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLNc7Lfkktg&sns=em

Holy crap, that makes me nervous about running this trac bar ... I actually wandered across that video of the cop pushing the jeep before.

I'm going to call Rusty's today and ask about the part #, and then as soon as I get a job again I will work on replacing that. I want to do a ZJ tie rod anyways, so good timing.

Couldn't you replace that with a rod end and just buy/ build a double sheer bracket. I don't want to thread Jack but I'm trying to find a good trackbar and all I can find are complaints. So if they all suck witch one should I get. Or what rod ends are best to build one.

Last edited:
My previous trackbar failed due to exessive lift so I needed a replacement. I looked long and hard and did all my research with just about every trackbar there is. This may not be your decision, im just telling you my thoughts.

This is a heavy duty trackbar from Iron Rock Offroad. And let me tell you, it really is, it's heavy! It's also a double shear trackbar, which is what I needed for my application. You could choose a TRE if you wanted tho. Even the drop bracket is strong. No complaints here. Hasn't budged a bit since I installed it about 6 months ago, solved all my problems. It's also the only trackbar that I could find that drops down a little bit at the axle side mount to better help with binding issues when flexing. I have also been up to big bear with this thing and wheeled the hell out of it without a single problem. Now im not trying to promote IRO in any way, shape, or form. I'm just telling you from my own experience. And for $189.99, it a pretty good deal for what you get if you ask me. HTH

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...en=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-STBCK
:cheers:

Last edited:
Back