• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling part ID

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Need to know what this cooling part is called. While checking the oil I noticed that this part was leaking a little bit of coolant. Not a lot... but had visible coolant on the body and a drip every so often.

coolingthing.jpg

Heater control valve

Dang, can't turn my back for one minute! :D :D

I was flushing my coolant the other day and broke that piece while I was trying to disconnect it. So instead of spending the 22 bucks on the replacement, I just put to splices in and called it a day. Only cost me five dollars and some change. Not sure why they have that thing there, I don't think the newer Jeeps even bothered with it.

Running coolant through your heater core all the time will probably be fine for winter but it may get annoying during the summer.

Heater valves were eliminated in '97.

Yeah I was gonna say, I dont have that! So does my 2000 have coolant flowing through the heater core all the time??

Does this valve have something to do with the "crank the heat up to keep from overheating" trick on older cars?

IIRC the internal design of the heater/AC air box was changed in the 97/98> models.Thus the need to control the coolant was eliminated.

I remember someone replaced one from the parts store and the replacement was metal not plastic. I don't think it was that pricey either, ~$20 or so.

Yeah I was gonna say, I dont have that! So does my 2000 have coolant flowing through the heater core all the time??

Does this valve have something to do with the "crank the heat up to keep from overheating" trick on older cars?

Part 1, yes you do. However the blend door blocks off any air flow through the core thus keeping most of the heat in the box.

Part 2, I don't think that passing hot coolant through the core alone would do anything to help the coolant temp if it's "trapped" in a small box. It's passing cooler air through the hot core with the fan on that will help carry off the heat. This would work with or without a heater valve.

FYI: On my Renix rig, the heater valve defaults to open if it looses vacuum allowing coolant to flow through the core. For some reason the vac line is clogged so the valve is always open. My AC still manages to blow @ 40F on a
80-85* day and just about 50 when it's nearly 100 out.

Back