• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need some more help...

xjrocker666

NAXJA Forum User
alright i have an 89 xj 4.0 4x4 automatic and the other day went out wheelen with a couple of buddys on some steep hills and i tryed put my tranny into 1st gear and it wouldnt go into it so would my linkage be messed up or something??? im lost any help would be great..i thought replacing my tranny mount would help but no go...this was the first time ive tried to use it and it didnt work.

do you mean the shifter wouldn't go into first, or when shifted into first the trans wouldn't down shift?

stupid question, you are pressing the shifter button on the handle as you do this right? have you took the cover plate off at the base of the shifter and inspect for obstructions, or ?

i know it sounds stupid, but ive seen the little plastic slide thing at the shifter bind up and keep the shifter from moving. check the simple stuff first. work your way to the trans. lastly, disconect the linkage and try shifting the trans at the trans with some pliers or something.

Back