• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temperature Display Module

bdahlg

NAXJA Forum User
91 Laredo

The module in my overhead console is no longer working. At night I can see four faint orange lines on the LED. I am assuming it has burnt out due to its quirkiness before it stopped working.
I have power from wh/bk with ignition on, as well as yellow and two pinks hot at all times, which appears to be normal.

Took it apart and it appears that some circuits have been fried (dark circuits, I have limited knowledge of circuit boards and terminology associated with it.) Looks like a group of 4 tiny resistors that is affected.

My question is, can it be repaired for relatively cheap; i.e. resoldering adding new resistors and such? Or is there a replacement part that someone knows about? Couldn't find ANYTHING.

Thanks in advance

Part # seems to be 5266173 or 75813.

Check your local JYs for ANY Chrysler with an overhead. Pull it and compare part numbers. You might be surprised!

If the resistors fried, the board is probably damaged as well. As it, usually, is an extremely cheap single sided board, repairing it would be a challange. Plus, you have to wonder what caused the excessive current that killed them to begin with.

Your best bet is a local junk yard. I pull overhead consoles all the time and set them up for friends and family. They are out there.

Yea I was definitely thinking junkyard on this one. I was actually going the route of buying a new one; my searches came up with "they burn out eventually", so why not buy a new one? I also came across threads from other forums mentioning they were quote from the dealer for something like $700!?!? How is this at all possible for such a simple device?

I would assume junkyards know the value of these overhead units too. What would I expect to pay there? WOuld rather go new on this, anyone have any suggestions?

If you buy seat covers from the dealer, they will cost as much or more than good aftermarket seats. An entire seat is $25 at the Pic-A-Part. Just because something is expensive at the dealer, doesn't mean it's worth that.

I went with a Dynex 177 mirror out of a late model suburban, compass and temp right on the the mirror. Always thought auto-dim was lame, but it actually works pretty well.

An overhead console should run $15-25 at the j/y

I only brought up the price of the dealer because I would rather buy it new, but I am going to check the junkyard this week sometime.

I am just looking to rip out the module, not grab the whole console itself (unless of course it comes from another XJ.)
I will be checking all older model chryslers for the unit. Wouldn't the wiring be different on other models? I say this because the wiring for the overhead lights run through the harness that plugs directly into the module.

It's a double sided board... done some work on them. The four lines are probably the heated filaments in the vacuum fluorescent display, it sounds like the voltage regulators and/or other display driver components are pretty smoked on yours.

Any 84-96 OHC module will fit yours. 97-up are different. Some older minivans may fit as well, but I'm not sure, compare the connector on the module. No grand cherokee modules will fit as far as I am aware.

Expect to pay around 500 dollars at the dealer if they even have it, or around 20-30 at the junkyard.

I have had the exact same problem on two 1990 XJs.http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1057433&highlight=overhead+console+computer.
Both have the same burnt resistors at the top. It seems they will all do this at some time due to their age (mine at 17-19 years). Problem is I have obtained OHCs from the JY and they had the same problem. Without fixing the burnt up one, your only solution is to get a computer unit from the latest model you can

It's a double sided board... done some work on them. The four lines are probably the heated filaments in the vacuum fluorescent display, it sounds like the voltage regulators and/or other display driver components are pretty smoked on yours.

Any 84-96 OHC module will fit yours. 97-up are different. Some older minivans may fit as well, but I'm not sure, compare the connector on the module. No grand cherokee modules will fit as far as I am aware.

Expect to pay around 500 dollars at the dealer if they even have it, or around 20-30 at the junkyard.
No Grand Cherokee will work?
Anyone know why?

I just picked up a overhead from a Grand Cherokee for $5 (no wires with it is was sitting in another jeep), I was going to try to use it to fix the console on mine since it went dead (Again! it's the second on I put in there)

I have the factory wiring on my 1991 XJ, and though I might be able to convert the plug or something to the Grand Cherokee.

Depends on the year, I think... I am not entirely sure. I know when I pulled apart a 98ish (?) grand cherokee I determined it used PCI bus instead of CCD bus for comms, and was not compatible. When I pulled apart another one I found markings on the module saying 'red connector - ZJ, black connector - XJ' (or vice versa) and every page I read said it wouldn't work or would need you to transplant the BCM.

Didn't buy them (didn't feel like blowing 30 bucks on a gamble) so I can't say with 100% certainty what is correct.

Depends on the year, I think... I am not entirely sure. I know when I pulled apart a 98ish (?) grand cherokee I determined it used PCI bus instead of CCD bus for comms, and was not compatible. When I pulled apart another one I found markings on the module saying 'red connector - ZJ, black connector - XJ' (or vice versa) and every page I read said it wouldn't work or would need you to transplant the BCM.

Didn't buy them (didn't feel like blowing 30 bucks on a gamble) so I can't say with 100% certainty what is correct.
Hmmm,
I pulled the console on our XJ and the ZJ console plug is different but is the same type with the same number of pins.

All I want is to get the temp and compass working I don't care about the other ZJ features. Might not be possible if it needs a different signal I guess.

I found a overhead console wiring diagram for the 1991 grand Cherokee but not the 93 or 95...

You might want to try the fix I outlined in the attached link. It worked for me on two separate boards:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1057433
Cool I'll take a look.
Someone on here (zluster I think) has a thread on making the ZJ consoles work. If you search you should be able to find it.
I think I found the thread, great information but looks like it is mostly for the 96 up models.

I'll read over all this in more detail tonight.

I found a overhead console wiring diagram for the 1991 grand Cherokee but not the 93 or 95...
91 Grand Cherokee is an FSJ not a ZJ - not sure if the parts are anywhere near compatible, I have never seen a 91 FSJ in person that had one.

(fun fact - the grand wagoneer and grand cherokee up till the start of the ZJ were both FSJs. Then the grand cherokee became the ZJ and the grand wagoneer became a briarwood-like edition of the ZJ with wood paneling/veneer.)

Okay. I said the pins on the plug looked the same, but the plug itself was physically different, so I trimmed the plug on the ZJ console so the xj plug would fit and shoved the plug on, it works!

The other modes ( mpg, trip odo, etc) I don't think would work right, but the direction and temp were on. The dimmer setting maybe backwards because if was dark with the park lights off and bright with them on.

The only real problem now may be the ZJ console does not seem to want to mount up to the roof the way old XJ one did. Maybe I can swap it around, keep the old console housing and put the newer computer and lights in it???

BTW the ZJ part number is 4688478: someone wrote 95 Jeep grand Cherokee on it -no idea if this is accurate as it was witting lose in a Wrangler.

Last edited:
Back