• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how hard is it to set up a ring and pinion?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a dana 30 fron axle with an ARB locker inside. The ring gear has 3 teeth sheered off.

How hard would it be to change this out myself? Are there any write ups? What tools would I need to do it properly?

Its wicked easy!!!!

I'm wicked sarcastic!!!

Its one of those things if you have to ask about it, then you're probably not ready for it.

Its one of those things if you have to ask about it, then you're probably not ready for it.

This

I helped (read: watched) a friend when we swapped my gearsets, it was confusing as hell.

Although, I'm all about doing things yourself, read lots of write-ups, buy the tools necessary, get a friend or ask a club member in your chapter for help, and go out and do it.

If the gears are not shimmed correctly, you run a risk of breaking everything inside your diff not just the gears themselves. I would suggest something like this be done professionally if you haven't done them before.

You have to learn sometime, try and find someone who's done it before and watch and learn. Like rweaver said buy the right tools.

My brother did his D30 with ARB and also his ford 8.8 with 4.56 gears for the first time over the summer. It is not hard to do, but you must be patient and take your time. Now that we know what we are doing it will be much easier in the future.

Everybody's saying "buy the right tools"... what are these tools that are needed?

Lessee..... you'll need a dial indicator (probably with a mag base,) a good micrometer, a press or some other way to seat bearings, a bearing splitter or a bridge puller, an inch-lb. torque wrench, and a gargantuan torque wrench for the pinion nut.

Everybody's saying "buy the right tools"... what are these tools that are needed?

Dial indicator
Gear marking compound and a clean brush
Calipers or a micrometer
Bearing pullers
Bearing press
Three foot long breaker bar or strong impact gun
Pinion nut socket
Ring gear bolt socket
Carrier cap bolt socket
Pry bars for removing the carrier case
24 oz ball pein hammer
48 oz sledge hammer
48 oz plastic dead blow hammer
Assorted brass punches
Punch for marking carrier caps
Oil drain pan
Foot pounds torque wrench
Inch pounds torque wrench

List that I googled, your really gonna need what I bolded. Also, not all those tools are necessary, just a generic list.

Back