• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I hate LA (rant)

WebDog

NAXJA Forum User
So I am working on a long arm setup and it requires lots of grinding and fitting to do it properly. So at 10:15pm two cops show up and say someone reported construction noises, at this point we don't have a front axle on the jeep and it is half way out of the garage. So the only way to get it in is to use two jacks and lift it and push not the safest thing to do, but they said if they heard the tools anymore they would write us up! So we get it in the garage and clean up...

I think I know who called too, the neghbor to the side of me she complained before that my exhaust made her back yard smell. The thing is her husband makes totem poles and is regularly outside grinding and chiselling away until as late as 1am!

I normally stop grinding at 5pm because I respect the noise levels and I rarelly work past sun down, and the one time I work late they call the cops. I think the next time he is out past 10pm I will do the same for them.

The thing that really pisses me off is the fact that they could not just come over and ask if I could keep it down, I would have felt so much different if they handled it that way.

[/rant off]

I need to get out of LA fast!!!

i dont hear anything that's LA-related in your rant =( LA loves you too!

10pm IS kinda late for grinding noise, in LA, or anywhere else. you live in a tight, quiet neighborhood.

theres plenty of reasons to hate LA, this is not one of them! yuppies who call cops are everywhere. you think big bear is cool with people gridning at 10pm?!?`

[/quote] I need to get out of LA fast!!![/QUOTE]

That's a given. It's time to move to the mtns.

[/guote] yuppies who call cops are everywhere. you think big bear is cool with people gridning at 10pm?!?` [/quote]

Their may be yuppies in Big Bear but forest Falls is a whole other world. My neighors will either bring you over a beer and chip in to help or simply walk on over and give you a piece of their mind. Either way, the issue will be solved with no cops involved. If you get our sheriff out of bed at night to deal with your noise issues then he is going to be your biggest problem and not the neighbors. Man do I love living in a town of less than a 1000.

Last edited:
i dont hear anything that's LA-related in your rant =( LA loves you too!

10pm IS kinda late for grinding noise, in LA, or anywhere else. you live in a tight, quiet neighborhood.

theres plenty of reasons to hate LA, this is not one of them! yuppies who call cops are everywhere. you think big bear is cool with people gridning at 10pm?!?`

The thing that bugs me is he is out there at least once a week grinding and chiseling on totem poles until 1 am, not any quieter than grinding metal. And the one time I go late the cops come!

I believe standard "quiet time" is 10PM. I totally hear what you are saying though. Your neighbors could have had the decency to talk to you first. And usually the popo do ask that you keep it down vs what they did to you.

be the better person. go over and apologize about the noise, and tell them the situation. make sure you bring a gift like a home made pie. oh and don't forget to put a booger in it. you'll feel better.

I would go talk to them and see if you can work out a compromise that suits you both. You might even end up being friends with them. At the least they will respect you for having the decency to communicate with them about any issues.

Maybe, the last time she spoke to me was about 6 months ago complaining about how my jeeps exhaust makes her back yard smell. She did not even nicely ask if I could idle it less just walked up really rude and started blabbing. (this was during my engine head job and needed to warm it up.) She has always given me the evil eye, and never says Hi even when I say it to her!

The husband will talk to us on occasion and seems like a nice guy, he does have a smoking corer right next to my driveway and you smell it a lot almost everyday. Ask anyone that has been over how much he smokes.

I think for now I will just stop using loud tools at 10, If I get all my grinding done before hand the welder should not be too loud to use.

I say just keep on smiling and saying HI and when they are making noise at 10:01pm just get on the phone and call the cops. Why even get anymore involved than that. She seems like a bitch so why even try to go over.

It's not the city. its the neighbor. I have one that calls Animal control everytime my dog barks, but i use my Impact/Angle grinder/air hammer at 2am all the time with no complaints

So I am working on a long arm setup and it requires lots of grinding and fitting to do it properly. So at 10:15pm two cops show up and say someone reported construction noises, at this point we don't have a front axle on the jeep and it is half way out of the garage. So the only way to get it in is to use two jacks and lift it and push not the safest thing to do, but they said if they heard the tools anymore they would write us up! So we get it in the garage and clean up...

I think I know who called too, the neghbor to the side of me she complained before that my exhaust made her back yard smell. The thing is her husband makes totem poles and is regularly outside grinding and chiselling away until as late as 1am!

I normally stop grinding at 5pm because I respect the noise levels and I rarelly work past sun down, and the one time I work late they call the cops. I think the next time he is out past 10pm I will do the same for them.

The thing that really pisses me off is the fact that they could not just come over and ask if I could keep it down, I would have felt so much different if they handled it that way.

[/rant off]

I need to get out of LA fast!!!
What!? you don't add aftershave to your gas to keep that nasty exhaust smell down? Well no wonder she complains!:rattle:

What!? you don't add aftershave to your gas to keep that nasty exhaust smell down? Well no wonder she complains!:rattle:

Now that's some serious redneck enginuity right there!

Back