• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me pick out some wheels

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
I'm planning on buying some 30 x 9.5 General Grabber At2s. I was thinking that if I were ever going to buy custom wheels now would be the time. For a long time I have planned on buying Dick Cepek DC2's but now I'm having second thoughts. Here is a pic of them on a XJ.
38759914002_large.jpg

I also like these american racing wheels but I don't think they come in a bolt patter that will work on my Renix XJ..

davebreckon.jpg
I hate that wheels go out of style after a number of years.. I'd rather get somthing not too tendy. Moabs would be sweet but they are hard to find and require adapters.... You guys have any suggestions?

everything mickey thompson or dick cepac looks like ish to me, but wheels are a personal preferance.

if im spending more then $60 a wheel, they'll be beadlocks, thats for sure.
anything else, and it's a cosmetic upgrade, and doesnt deserve the $300+ it would take from your general build fund. i run soft-8's, they look great to me.

God, both of those sets of wheels are hideous!

Black steel!

If you're just going to drive it everyday:
1. Buy some Moabs, they look great on XJs.
2. DONT buy cheap mud tires. You're wasting your money. If you drive it on the road much at all they'll need to be replaced in 6 months. My dumbass has had a set of General Grabbers and a set of Dunlop ATs. Both tires cupped out horribly within 10,000 miles. They made that really loud whining noise and rode like crap!

General Grabbers are about 110 bucks per tire. For 20 bucks more per tire you can have BFG A/Ts. $133.00 per tire.

You're driving a decades old station wagon- there is no reason to worry about being trendy- no one in their right mind is going to think that. Buy some wheels you like.

God, both of those sets of wheels are hideous!

Black steel!

If you're just going to drive it everyday:
1. Buy some Moabs, they look great on XJs.
2. DONT buy cheap mud tires. You're wasting your money. If you drive it on the road much at all they'll need to be replaced in 6 months. My dumbass has had a set of General Grabbers and a set of Dunlop ATs. Both tires cupped out horribly within 10,000 miles. They made that really loud whining noise and rode like crap!

General Grabbers are about 110 bucks per tire. For 20 bucks more per tire you can have BFG A/Ts. $133.00 per tire.

What are black steel? The rock crawling rims?

I'm not buying cheap mud tires. The General Grabber AT2 are a all terrain tire and have great reviews. Most people say they are very quiet.

Those DC2's make me want to gag. They're trendy; I hate trendy.
If I were you I'd take talyn's advice; the mamba's have a classic look that won't look pathetic after a short while.

Those are great, but I don't see my bolt pattern. i belive my pattern is 5x 114...

I guess I'd need some adapters..

No
5x114.3 = 5x4.5

My favorite alloy is the American Racing Mohave Teflon black wheel. But like others have said, If I gonna spend that kind of money im getting beadlocks.

Side note anyone know what brand these Bulge Fenders are? Me kinna like...

My favorite alloy is the American Racing Mohave Teflon black wheel. But like others have said, If I gonna spend that kind of money im getting beadlocks.

X2 on the Mohave Teflon's always been my favorite. But Id never get them if it was on the trail as much as mine is. Hence why I got the cheap Black steelies.

Back