• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trac-bar refreshing (Skyjacker)

el_roy1985

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know if the skyjacker trac bar uses the stock size bushing, and if not, what size it does use? I will be taking the bar itself to a custom shop tomorrow to see if they can help me out, but it would be nice to see if anyone on here already knows the size. That way, I could possibly order one online for cheaper.

Also, what kind of heim would I need to get? The local shop has heims, but they are very easy to move around. I've heard that a good heim should be difficult to move by hand. So if that's true, I would rather order a reputable brand online. So hopefully someone knows the dimensions of it. If not, I will measure it myself tomorrow. Just thought someone on here might already know.

that thing is a piece of trash. i bought it way back when from summit when i had no idea what i was doing... bought a JKS about 6 hours after i put it in.

Well, that wasn't too helpful. I'll admit, it probably isn't the toughest bar out there, but I've been wheeling with it for years now. It came off an 87 XJ I bought that was used in some Jeep Jamborees. So it's stood the test of time. Only problems I've had, are breaking the bolt that mounts the heim to the frame side.

So since it has been doing it's job, I just want to put a new bushing and heim on it. Rather then spend hundreds of dollars (that I don't have) on a new trac-bar.

Thanks anyway.

then, call skyjacker, see what they recommend for you to use. a hardware store heim, or any heim not coming from a race shop or offroad shop wont be good enough.

Found the bushing I needed at the local speed shop.

They have heims that they use on race cars. The only thing is, they move very easily by hand. Worth getting one from them, or should I order something better?

Is it single shear or double? If you step up to a double shear and new/modded bracket, then should work much better.

If you are talking about the axle side of the bar, it is single shear. Which is probably why I've broken a few bolts over the years. My plans are to eventually replace the heim with a bushing end which would make it double shear. If not, I will mod the bracket itself to be double with the heim.

Good news is, the steering has improved greatly after replacing the bushing. Can't wait to get the heim replaced. Then I'll eventually get some adjustable (or make my own) LCAs and possibly UCAs. Then I should finally be completely happy with my steering and suspension.

Back