• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airbag light/no cruise after ps box install

sumofatguy

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everybody. I have a 2000 xj, and just recently swapped out the power steer box. before this everything was working properly

after the ps box install, the airbag light has constantly been on, the horn stopped working and the cruise stopped working. Everything I have been reading has pointed me towards the clockspring, but considering it happened DIRECTLY after the ps box install, I'd like to know if there is ANY other cause for this. I just don't think that the clockspring would go conveniently(inconveniently...) right after i installed my ps box

I checked all the fuses just now and they all appear to be fine, so much for easy fixes... I'd appreciate any assistance

Your exactly right with the clock spring being bad. If you didn't get the steering wheel centered when you changed boxes most likely what happened is you over extended the spring in one direction breaking it inside. You will have to pull the wheel to replace it. Make sure you look up the procedure for the airbag as any electical spark could set the bag off.

When you pull the wheel to replace it make sure you have the wheels straight ahead and lock the ignition with the key. This will keep the box and shafts in position so you can center the new spring when you mount it.

Just for the sake of asking did you happen to unhook anything under the dash? There is also a connector on the bottom of the column you could check. I don't think it has the Air Bag wiring in it though.

You don't have to pull the steering wheel to fix a broken clockspring, you just need to remove the the air bag from the center of the steering wheel. There are just a few screws underneath and it pulls right off. The clock spring has a connector that needs to be unplugged as well. Like was said remove the ground terminal from the battery first and hold it against a good ground point on the body for a minute or two to bleed off any power stored in the computer. The clockspring usually gets broken by turning the steering wheel when it's not connected to the steering box, they break very easily this way. Wrapping the seat belt through the bottom of the wheel a few times and then buckling it back in will prevent this from happening in the future.

You don't have to pull the steering wheel to fix a broken clockspring, you just need to remove the the air bag from the center of the steering wheel.

The clockspring is behind the steering wheel frame, and YES it has to be removed to remove and replace the clockspring. I just did mine on my 98 when I was repairing the airbag system. You certainly cannot get the old clockspring off if you don't remove the steering wheel....well, okay, you could chew and tear it up, but you'll never get the new one on without pulling the steering wheel.

Definitely sounds like the steering wheel got turned through the install process..clockspring is done...pull steering wheel and its right there..Next time make sure steering wheel is secured so that it cant move while disconnected... I like to make sure the wheel is locked with column.

Thanks for the info everyone. The steering wheel was definitely turned when it wasn't connected... That'll teach me! Dangit... Is the clockspring a difficult replacement?

ADJUSTMENTS
CLOCKSPRING CENTERING
If the rotating tape within the clockspring is not positioned properly in relation to the steering wheel and the front wheels, the clockspring may fail during use. The clockspring must be centered if it is not known to be properly positioned, or if the front wheels were moved from the straight-ahead position with the clockspring removed during any service procedure.
WARNING: THE AIRBAG SYSTEM IS A SENSITIVE, COMPLEX ELECTROMECHANICAL UNIT. BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO DIAGNOSE OR SERVICE ANY AIRBAG SYSTEM OR RELATED STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENTS YOU MUST FIRST DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE
BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE. THEN WAIT TEN MINUTES FOR THE SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE FURTHER SYSTEM SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.
(1) Turn the steering wheel until the front wheels are in the straight-ahead position before starting the centering procedure.
(2) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. If the airbag has not been deployed, wait ten minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before further service.
(3) Remove the airbag module as described in this group.
(4) If the vehicle is equipped with the optional vehicle speed control, unplug the speed control switch wire harness connector in the steering wheel.
(5) Remove the nut that secures the steering wheel to the steering column upper shaft.
(6) Remove the steering wheel with a steering wheel puller (Special Tool C-3428B).
(7) Rotate the clockspring rotor clockwise to the end of its travel (Fig. 14). Do not apply excessive torque.
(8) From the end of the clockwise travel, rotate the rotor about two and one-half turns counterclockwise, until the rotor flats are horizontal. If the clockspring wire harness is not at the bottom, rotate another one-half turn.
(9) The front wheels should still be in the straightahead position. Install the steering wheel being certain to fit the flats on the hub of the steering wheel onto the formations on the inside of the clockspring. Pull the wire harness from the clockspring through the lower hole in the steering wheel hub. Tighten the steering wheel nut to 61 N·m (45 ft. lbs.). Be certain not to pinch any of the wiring between the steering wheel and the nut.
(10) Install the airbag module as described in this group.

Back