• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake issues

91XJnewbie

NAXJA Forum User
Alrigt guys I am new to all things xj so I am hoping that u guys are as helpful as all the wrangler guys when I started with those.

I have recently purchased a 91 xj 4.0 auto with ABS

I am havin a issues with the brakes that I am slightly stumped with when I purchased the jeep it was in need of ball joints tie rod ends and wheel bearings(all known when i brought it home not a big deal) But the issue t hand is while drivin it home the brake pedal was extremely firm like u where at the floor board but I don't have any stopping power originally thought it might have been the booster might have had a issue but when I take the calipers off (not disconnect them just remove them from the calipers) then the pedal goes back to like it should be and the calipers respond accoringly they feel smooth and seem to be operating fine.

Seconnd issue as I was removing the ABS sensors off of the knuckles the 3/8 bolts holding the sensors in place both broke off with out any effort has anyone else had this issue and are the sensors themselves threaded because the sensors still don't want to come off and I don't want to cut any wires if I don't have to to remove them

Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance

No experience with ABS, but your calipers could be frozen. Sounds like the fluid has nowhere to go maybe.

Your XJ has the early crappy/crummy/junkie ABS system without a vacuum power booster. When your boost pump fails--that is what it sounds like has happened--you won't have brakes enough to stop: BAM/BANG/BOOM.

I recommend you deadline your XJ until you can either get the ABS system repaired (really bad idea) or convert over to a non-ABS vacuum booster, MC, proportioning valve and lines. Good time to upgrade to the 95-96 XJ dual-diaphragm booster/MC or the WJ booster/MC.

How complicated is the change over......To get away from this POS ABS system and what wiring issues will it give me if I do so

I have a buddy that works a pick n pull so used parts won't be an issue just need to know what parts I will need to get and what year I need to salvage off of to make the change over as simple as possible please lmk any info u guys have I would like to have this thin runnin before it starts snowing considering my other vehicle is a mustang (worthless in any thing more serious than a light drizzle not to mention if any of it is freezing

Search. Lots of write ups on the forum.

You can go XJ 95-96 for a pretty simple swap, and people claim the WJ swap is simple too.

You will need the donor MC, the dual diaphragm booster, the proportioning valve, and grab the lines from the MC to the prop. valve as well--you may still need to make your own, but grab them anyway.

Back