• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaf spring?

poomero

NAXJA Forum User
What leaf springs do you guys have? What do you like about them and what do you dislike about them. I want to stick with a 3.5 inch lift and my springs are warn out. I want to get new ones so i am looking for some advice on them.

I'm trying to figure out what you are asking in this question. Are you asking which type of spring is better for cross country type travel? Which springs carry weight better than others? Or just generally.

I guess I'm trying to figure if this is a question that is related to adventure in some way or if it would be better in the mod-tech section.

i was wondering what springs people would recommend for cross county adventure and what spring are stiff enough to carry a load but are still an ok ride with out a load.

I am build an adventure rig and need new springs so i was thinking i should just get some that are going to used for what i am building.

Do yourself a favor and have someone build you a set of springs that are at least a nine leaf pack...maybe even up to eleven. You get really thin leafs but gain a lot of height in the thickness of the pack. This gives you a flatter arch which rides better and usually will hold more weight.

I had Deaver build mine. They were kind of expensive, I think I paid just over $700 for them but it was well worth the money. I've had them on for two years now and they ride great, no sign of sag and carry the weight of two kids, a big dog, ARB fridge and a ton of tools, along with the tongue weight of my trailer.

... I've had them on for two years now and they ride great, no sign of sag and carry the weight of two kids, a big dog, ARB fridge and a ton of tools, along with the tongue weight of my trailer.

Long time reader, first time poster.... (at least in recent memory)

What do you expect the service life of these to be in relation to a 'standard' aftermarket kit leaf spring setup? Would they wear about the same or would there be a 'lifespan' increase in the springs before they began sagging.

I'd also be quite interested in seeing any pics you have of them.

Last edited:
I made my own leaf pack using two complete factory XJ packs with the Alcan double lipped teflon leaf liners between each leaf. This gives me a pack that is rather flat with a lot of leaves and a stiffer spring rate then stock. The leaf liners are WONDERFUL! They keep the rear end silent in even the worst dust and washboard roads. The ride is noticeably smoother too with them installed (vs. when they weren't installed). I will put them in any leaf sprung vehicle I own in the future.

I don't know what my leafs net me for lift because I am running U-Bolt Eliminator mounts that give me approx. 1/2" lift, shackle relocation brackets, and 1" shackles. Total lift is dead on 4.5" to match my front coils.

These leafs are still a bit soft for my liking when I'm fully loaded and towing my trailer so I may swap out the second "helper" main leaf in the pack to some sort of stiffer AAL or put in air bags or something, but the softness may not necessarily be the pack, but the whole combination of pack/relocation brackets/shackles as a whole.

I made my own out of some 5x5x.25 wall steel and a .25" wide piece of flatbar for the middle brace. They're quite a bit longer then stock perches o help combat spring wrap. They also have 3 centering holes in them so I can move the axle forward/backward to center the wheel in the wheel well.

I am VERY happy with them... I don't think I'd spend the money on buying the premade ones though. It's a neat product and it works well enough, but not for the price they charge.

I just picked up rustys 4.5 leafs and I am very happy with them! Plus they were only 250! Worth every penny. Give them a call and they will point you in the right direction.

I wouldn't put anything cRusty's sells on my rig if it was the last company out there making stuff.

Sorry if I offend anyone but all you have to do is research that company a little. Far far far too many complaints to suit me.

Sometimes in life you just have to spend more to get more...it's just a fact of life.

Long time reader, first time poster.... (at least in recent memory)

What do you expect the service life of these to be in relation to a 'standard' aftermarket kit leaf spring setup? Would they wear about the same or would there be a 'lifespan' increase in the springs before they began sagging.

I'd also be quite interested in seeing any pics you have of them.

I don't have any pics but I could grab some I guess.

I would hope the life would be quite a bit longer. Deaver is very huge in the desert racing community. Their name stands out as leaders in the industry.

I've ran Alcan and Rubicon Express springs and both of them have failed to live up to my expectations.(The Alcan pack actually broke leafs, the three sets of RE springs all started to sag on one side with in a year of owning them)

Back