• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bypassing Federally required emissions is illegal, so don't post about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super mud

NAXJA Forum User
A while ago I decided to leave the stupid thing alone since a friend with a FSJ heard bad things about removing it from his system though I heard on here that on the renix xjs its not doing a whole lot. Mines an 87 (historic tags) and figure it's probobly long gone anyway and I just relized it's not hooked up right either. So I was wondering if it's a good idea to run the fuel vent line to the intake manifold? I know some people run it to the air box but thats gone and supposobly it releases alot of fumes hangin by itself. Can this vent hose overflow say while descending down a hill or fill the intake with a enough of a gas concentrate to ignite? cause that would probobly be a no go then. Post opinions unless your a fart sniffin hippie please.

Re: Another charcoal canister removal question

You probably don't have to worry about flooding the intake from the gas tank on down-hills unless you're one of those types that fill the tank until it floods the fill pipe. However, without a purge valve and associated hardware, you could get a pretty big fume buildup even plumbed into the intake. Is there some reason you couldn't just re-plumb the canister properly(not being a hippie, just seems like the simplest solution)

The EVAP system is a federally mandated (as in LAW) part of the emissions system.

If your XJ is an unlicensed off-road-only vehicle, fine. If not, fix it.

There's one of them d*mn hippies now!

Hey Joe :wave:

The gas tank has two roll over check valves that would prevent any fuel from coming out and through the vent line unless you overfill like tbburg said. I don't recommend attaching it directly to the intake as that will affect your air/fuel ratio and could actually worsen your gas mileage. At the same time i don't recommend just plugging the line either as it is a vent line to vent the excess pressure inside the tank. If you have a vented gas cap then you could plug the line otherwise I'd hook it back up to the evap canister so it could filter the gas fumes as a little bit of filtering is better than none at all.

I know that it does not hurt the performance or anything though I doubt it's even still in working condition since they don't last very long so if all its doing is just taking up space I would like to take a minute to chuck it and clean up and simplify the engine bay a little bit more.

The EVAP system is a federally mandated (as in LAW) part of the emissions system.
I think they'll find the weed growing in my neighbors basement first lol. :smoker:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back