• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake line nut stuck at wheel cylinder

Ricker

NAXJA Forum User
It's the left rear wheel cylinder. The brake line seems to be fused in the fitting. I have it loosened at the wheel cylinder, but there isn't enough room to rotate the cylinder to remove it. I used lots of PB Blaster, even a hand held torch. The garage is filled with smoke so I took a break to air it out. Any ideas?
Rick

last resort is to make a new line from the t-fitting out to the new wheel cylinder, I had to do it :(

I got it by looensing the backing plate & removing the nut at the "t" fitting on the hardline. Pulled the line out. More heat got the nut loose. Now to reassemble........

whenever i have trouble with brake/clutch line's... a good positive grip on it from vice grips will get it loose, 10 out of 10 times!

whenever i have trouble with brake/clutch line's... a good positive grip on it from vice grips will get it loose, 10 out of 10 times!
Ricker's problem was not that the nut was seized into the cylinder but that the line was seized into the nut and wouldn't allow it to rotate without twisting the line and breaking it.

Sometimes it's possible to get it done by rotating the nut a little bit back and forth, gradually increasing the rotation as it begins to loosen. But that will fail too unless you can get at least a tiny bit of rotation.

Ricker: make sure that in your initial attempts to get it off you didnt twist the line where it enters the nut. If it's already rusty, that could be enough to cause a fatigue fracture, and you're best off replacing the whole line.

Back