• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

44/9 or 44/60

Overdriven

NAXJA Member #1020
I've got a good problem. While collecting parts to go from my 30/44 4.56's detroits running 35's to something bigger I've acquired two sets of axles. Not sure which to run.

1st set
44/9" from a 78 Bronco. Geared 5.38's, spool in the 9" (plan on pulling the spool for a detroit or ARB) I also have 5 rims and 1 new 38x12.5 r15 TSL for a spare. total of $1k for all of it. Also have a set of weld on beadlocks for the rims lined up. I also have a detroit in my garage if I buy a big bearing dropout for the 9".

2nd set
44/60 from a 79 F250. Geared 4.88, ARB front, Detroit Rear. 44 is the .25" tube with the big breaks and the welds on the center section have been cut so the pinion could be rotated for an 8" lift to keep the caster correct. (work done by a pro shop) (I pick these up today and plan to look right away to see if it's a 30 or 35 spline 60)

Plan on running 37 IroKs, driving it every day to work and I wheel harder Alaskan trails.

I had planned on Trail gear end links, DOM and the stock radius arms to build my own radius arm setup for the Bronco stuff. But then I found the F250 gear.

Don't want to go too wide. Would love to stay around 80". I've even considered swapping the Bronco outers onto the F250 axle and swapping the gear sets to run the stronger 44 with the 9" and keep the 15" rims to keep it all cheaper.

Looking for opinions and advice.
Thanks.

I've read a lot of threads about

whichever you choose, give me the other set.

what u-joints are in the 44s? both spicer? ctm? something else? stock shafts? alloys?

what spline 9? 27? 31? 35?

the spline count of the axles in the 60 and 9 and axles/u-joints in the 44s should make your choice. also, 5.38s will be a LOT better to drive with 37s. either way, if you ave to put some money into either set, its not a big deal since you practically stole them for the amount of work done.

Both sets of 44's have stock shafts. Will probably pop for RCV/s when I get back from Afghanistan.

31 spline 9"

I'm leaning on the 44/9 but wanted opinions on whether the 60 was that much better.

I do love 9s, however that is only a 31 spine axle. easily upgradable but the 60 already has 35 spline shafts.

unless the 60 has had the spindles bored it won't be 35 spline (atleast not likely)
considering you have sets, if they are paid off, so to say, you'd have spending money on one or the other after selling one set.

there would be that "I hope it doesn't break" feeling in the back of your mind with that 9". where as if you go with the 60, you have the option of simply replacing the 44 down the road if you see fit.

I am replacing a 31 spline 8.8 with a 35 spline 60 (14b outters) because I was tired of 'holding back' when the trail got tough and I didn't have the option of trailering my rig back home.

I'd say sell the 44/9" combo and use the proceeds to beef up the other set.

good luck overseas, if you see any Canadians Engineers just shake your head and tell them "engineers suck"

unless the 60 has had the spindles bored it won't be 35 spline (atleast not likely)

Not sure what you mean by that? When I think spindles, I thing front 2wd trucks...

where as if you go with the 60, you have the option of simply replacing the 44 down the road if you see fit.
That's probably the best reason to go with the 60... I was leaning away from the 60 because I figured it was too big (center section sit too low) for 37's

I'd say sell the 44/9" combo and use the proceeds to beef up the other set.
Plan on using the money from one for rims and front control arms/brackets for the axle

Not sure what you mean by that? When I think spindles, I thing front 2wd trucks...
He's talking about these:
After_Reamer.jpg

I wouldn't even bother with the D60 if it didn't have the larger ID spindles. I did cause I got it for basically nothing, but its almost not worth the hassle boring them out when uou can get a D60 ISU or a D70 for very cheap. If you shop around you can even get one with factory discs out of an E350.

Thanks for clarifying RCman...

So, what is the strength difference between the 9" and the 30 spline 60? about the same or is one proven stronger?

I would mix the sets and run the F-250 front and the 9 inch rear. I say this because the 78 bronco housing will have the wedges cast to the Inner C instead of welded on. This will just make adding brackets harder unless you want to run the radius arms... I vote against that idea because they limit flex unless you pin one side, then they don't drive very good. I vote F-250 44 front and a 3 link.

The 60 would be fine in the back, but if the 9 is 31 spline then you are already bigger than a 60, plus the 9 inch parts are a lot cheaper.

One of my wheelin buddies has the 44/9 set-up in his 90 XJ and he has broke the Detroit locked 44 twice with alloys and the spooled 9 is constantly breaking. On 37's

He is HARD on the skinny all the time but he will try any obstacle and is not worried about breakage

I would go with the 60 JMHO

The 9" is soooooo much easier to work on with the removable 3rd member.
But, if the D60 is a 35 spline and you are wheeling HARD, then it is the better choice.
I am on a 31 spline locked 9" on 35s with no issues.
If you wheel hard enough to break a 31 spline 9" then the D44 up front will not be strong enough either, IMO.

My opinion:

(*Disclaimer: D60 FRONT :D)

Take parts from both front 44's.
-Use the F250 housing (Which will/should have .500" tubes), use the ARB locker with the 5.38's, use the bigger 8 lug outers/brakes/etc..

Either build the D60 rear up with some 35 spline shafts or find a 14b/D70/newer D60's with better stuff factory. Run matching 5.38's and locker/spool of your choice.

Either way, the 44 is the weak link...

I've got kind of the same issues with a set of 37's in the garage, all the parts (except RCV axle shafts) to build my front 44 (already got an old Currie 9 inch in back).

37's are from a buddy who ran them briefly with a D60 - and "the tires weren't big enough, I was getting hung up all the time" now he's on 39.5's.

The 37's are IMO (and the opinion of many others) a little too much tire for a 44. RCV's for the 44 were about $1200 last time I checked - A bundle of money invested, and I'd still have the wimpy D44 pinion.

Hence my problem. So many ways to do it. I made my 35's last a long time with a 30 front. I'm confident the 44 will handle the 37's. I don't wheel the skinny pedal. I like picking good lines.

A 44 with RCV's is plenty strong enough for 37's. You will brake hubs before anything else. My 44 with chromo shafts and joints has held up just fine with 37's.

So I get the axles home yesterday and figure out two things.
1. The 60 is a 30 spline (which means the 9" is the stronger axle)
2. The 44 is a LP (which means I can't swap the HP gears from the other axle into it)

so now it comes down to....

Do I want to run the Bigger/stronger 44 with the weaker 60 and (which includes buying a Long arm kit, axle brackets for the 44, rims, and pay the extra shipping to Alaska for everything)

or

run the smaller 44 with the stronger 9" (already have the rims, ford radius arms, and trailgear end link to make some custum radius arms, as well as a new 37" spare... take the extra money and buy RCV's and hydro assist....)

I'm leaning on the 44/9"
Don't really plan on going bigger than 37's on this rig.

I'll build my wifes (soon to be mine) 5.9 Grand Cherokee with 1 tons for bigger tires.

I run a D44 front from a 74 bronco, and a 9" from a 79 bronco with 36's. No problems at all. I have beat it pretty hard and haven't broken anything.

Ran a D70 rear on my old rig with 37's and hung the diff a lot.

Back