• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cleaning fuel injectors

jeeptorino68

NAXJA Forum User
any good methods to clean fuel injectors while they are out of the vehicle?
im doing the neon injector upgrade soon, and want them in good shape

im going to clean the carbon build up off with brake cleaner and a old toothbrush
what about the inside of the injector,
can i soak them in brake cleaner, or injector cleaner?
any other methods?

That's a pretty good way to see the spray pattern and get it clean, but I had to laugh at him doing it on the kitchen counter.

I can hear his wife (which was probably edited out)

"Honey, what is that smell? Hey, what are you doing?.....Stephen, that's my kitchen!!!!!!!!

:D

ive read to soak them in diesel. dont know how well it works. pull the caps off the end of the injector as well

If you have a Renix Jeep with the original injectors, just replace them with the Bosch type. The originals were quite prone to leaking fuel externally and causing engine fires. Besides, they were wonky injectors to begin with, having a poor spray pattern.

here are some results

i could not find a 5cc syringe anywhere.... turns out thats ok
i got a 10cc syringe and that fit pretty well, i had to drill out the end where the needle goes a little bigger to fit the hose for my brake cleaner can.
and the o ring made a good seal on the other end, but would sometimes blow out and the injector would pop out of the syringe.

i had 6 injectors to clean, and it didnt work as well as the video shows, but still worked well enough that i could back flow them a little and get some junk out of the little screens.

i had 3 old o rings that i used for the 6 injectors. it seemed that after a bit of time with the brake cleaner the o rings would get too wet and loose their seal, so either air would leak in or the injector would pop out. by the time this would happen i had already got some brake fluid to flow through so i would swap to another injector.setting the cleaned one aside, then i would wait until the o ring was dry and put it on another injector so that it will make a better seal on the syringe.

also i used one 9V battery and 2 little test wires (alligator clips on each end) to connect the injectors.
i used one hand to spray the cleaner and one hand to touch the wire to the battery.

this worked ok. and the injectors are installed and working well.
seemed to get better mileage, but we will see.

if anyone is interested in a guy who can get you neon 703 injectors let me know and i can get you his email, prices are reasonable (though you have to discuss those exactly with him) and he can get them to you within a week usually.

this is the guy where i got mine for my XJ and i couldn't be happier with the communication, shipping, and injectors. they were used injectors and do need to be cleaned, i dont know if he offers any cleaning.

let me know

Some BG44K in the tank would probably have cleaned things up for you.

Back