• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Splash guard

Re: Spash guard

A friend of mine made a replacement out of an old grocery store converyor belt......

I personally think they serve a great purpose by keeping junk out of the engine bay. It's real rainy and wet where I live. I believe that splash shield is one of the reasons my alternator is still working at 155k miles.....

^^X2 on making the alternator live a long life. I run the splash guards on all of my XJ's except the trail rig, I have the engine skid on it for the same purpose

I don't like em... mine held dirt in the engine bay, and where it was held against the oil sump it caused a rust issue so bad that a 3" long line on my oil sump leaks oil if I park facing downhill right after an oil change.

I would replace the pan but the jeep isn't gonna last much longer, so I just park facing uphill.

It does keep the engine bay a little cleaner. I made a replacement out of some form of mat that was at Ace.

This is what I would suggest & do myself; making one out of some type HD rubber(ized) mat material that won't stretch too much.

I've heard of some people making them out of light aluminum, but I would think it would be easier to replace if it's a little more flexible.

I've run my jeeps with and without 'em... hasn't seemed to matter much, out here in the deserts... but then I try to avoid the mud holes.

Last edited:

Go to farm supply store, look for stall liners or stall mats. Roughly the same material and thickness. Plus they are designed to be stomped on by horses so you know they are durable.

I don't like em... mine held dirt in the engine bay, and where it was held against the oil sump it caused a rust issue so bad that a 3" long line on my oil sump leaks oil if I park facing downhill right after an oil change.

I would replace the pan but the jeep isn't gonna last much longer, so I just park facing uphill.

id smear some jb weld on the leaky spot to since its only a temp repair. ghetto always works if you dont care how it looks:gee:

Go to NAPA and buy a mudflap for a semi truck.

They work perfect!!!

X2^ 'cept I've always been able to find them on the side of the highway when I need one. I figure I'm helping keep the roads cleaner and the landfills a little emptier.

X2^ 'cept I've always been able to find them on the side of the highway when I need one. I figure I'm helping keep the roads cleaner and the landfills a little emptier.

While you're along the road picking up mudflaps, you could get lucky and find some fresh roadkill to wire to your exhaust manifold so you'd have a hot meal later in the day out on the trail.:laugh2:

While you're along the road picking up mudflaps, you could get lucky and find some fresh roadkill to wire to your exhaust manifold so you'd have a hot meal later in the day out on the trail.:laugh2:

ya know, if you want to be invited to Thanksgiving dinner, you should just ask. Did you want sweet opossum casserole or starling stuffing?

I ended up with some skunk jerky after a carcass rolled out from under a semi truck a while ago... nothing like discovering flayed strips of semi dried meat hanging off the exhaust. The smell was... out of this world.

I was trying to be subtle..............

subtlety is wasted on the movers and shakers of the world (me, I caught every subtle hint...)

I ended up with some skunk jerky after a carcass rolled out from under a semi truck a while ago... nothing like discovering flayed strips of semi dried meat hanging off the exhaust. The smell was... out of this world.

Did you save any of it?? Apparently, I'm gonna have another guest and might need some appetizer ideas.

Nope, but I would suggest flayed skunk breaded with road tar and undercoating and fried in atf.

Hate to break up the social calender discussion, but,... Back on topic for a minute.

Soloman7: What year XJ you working on? Quick warning about the aluminum splash guard: The early XJs with the Delco alternators have the alternator plug pointed straight down. If you really beat on your rig, it can push the splash guard up until it contacts the alternator(on the plug) and will rub through the wires, shorting the field coils and shutting down the alternator. If you decide to make a metal splash guard, be sure to glue a small piece of rubber or plastic directly below the alternator.

Back