• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4H - good / 4L - bad

racerized

NAXJA Forum User
I discovered the other day that my 4WD Low isn't working... well, it's trying to work. It just seems like it's not catching. It spins and my Jeep inches forward. My 4WD High works just fine. Any ideas??

Sometimes it is hard to get the transfer to fully engage the 4lo gears and will remain in neutral. I have to put mine into neutral and back into 4lo every now and then to get it to work right. Did you mess with it any or just drop it into 4low and give up?

Also you will want to post your year, engine, transmission and transfer case type before some angry old veteran comes along and berates you for not reading the stickies at the top of the forums.

Common problems with this are worn out linkage bushings not giving you full range of motion of the output. Take a peak under there and make sure all the little plastic grommets are still in there.

Oops, sorry about that... Newbie. :) It's a 90 XJ, I6. Stock (auto) trans and xfer case. I didn't mess with it cause I didn't wanna cause anymore damage if I was dealing with a real problem. I'll play with it a little bit and see if I can get it to engage. Thanks for the advice.

Oops, sorry about that... Newbie. :) It's a 90 XJ, I6. Stock (auto) trans and xfer case. I didn't mess with it cause I didn't wanna cause anymore damage if I was dealing with a real problem. I'll play with it a little bit and see if I can get it to engage. Thanks for the advice.

On the back of your xfer case is a little round tag. Post up the model number from the tag. Will either be 231 or 242. Alternately you can tell us whether or not you have a part-time and full-time 4wd option. Knowing the model of your tcase will be beneficial in the future when you ask questions.

Would you happen to have a lift and a transfer case drop installed?

Back