• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

For those that doubt Yukon Axles

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
I have had some people here that have kinda steered away from the Yukon axles I have recently been selling. They said things like Yukon has a horrible rap for quality and breaking, or that they heard this or that.

I try to explain that was when they were first getting in to the full axle line a few years or more ago, and that people still have super old stock or such and that in the last few years Yukon has stepped up the quality beyond that of any other axle (or gear for that matter) company.

I personally saw this same test being done, but they would not disclose the other axle brands when they tested a few for me. Only saying that their Hardcore was the strongest of the strong out there in the Chromoly arena.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2hBlYTEZmQ

cool deal, good to know they are doin some R&D.

my only experience with yukon includes breaking a 44 outer while installing a u-joint. customer service told me that if the ears were out of spec to bend them gently in a vice. well, it almost impaled my face when it snapped.

and breaking another 44 outer within 15 minutes of wheeling on a lame obstacle.

they wouldnt warranty them either because i ran over a 33" tire.

with that said i have had good luck with thier gears. sorry to shit on your thread.

that Must have been some time ago.

About 2 yrs ago they changed to lifetime no questions asked (for the first one that is) warranty. And thats also when they moved production to thier own contracted factory and not the same factory as a few others out there.

that Must have been some time ago.

About 2 yrs ago they changed to lifetime no questions asked (for the first one that is) warranty. And thats also when they moved production to thier own contracted factory and not the same factory as a few others out there.

it was winter 08-09. looks like i just barely missed the good stuff :(

it was winter 08-09. looks like i just barely missed the good stuff :(

they've had thier no questions asked warranty for 2 yrs or so now. No tire limit...

i think these tests are cool because they show some real numbers, but for a lot of us, i dont know what that equates to in real life between my rig, tire size, and throttle.
i feel like a bunch of similar rigs running same axles, tires and wheels with as close to same driving style as possible on some hard trails would be a better explination. the rig that doesnt break is the one with the shafts i want, lol

but im simple minded...

cool post :thumbup:

Well the more stress and torque they take to break, the better they are. Makes some sense, right?

in4aride i think i understand wehre you going, as in ok your yukon axle breaks at 6000psi or whatever, so how do i translate 6kpsi to tires+hp/tq and gears, in other words, how big of tire how low of gear, and how much hp would it take to make 6kpsi to snap the sob. ?? am i right?

peace
ted

in4aride i think i understand wehre you going, as in ok your yukon axle breaks at 6000psi or whatever, so how do i translate 6kpsi to tires+hp/tq and gears, in other words, how big of tire how low of gear, and how much hp would it take to make 6kpsi to snap the sob. ?? am i right?

peace
ted
bingo!
and this is why i am not in school for any math oriented degree hahahaha

Out of curiosity id like to see them test differnt shafts for differnt applications. More of a comparison for each axle because not every axle shaft is the same theirs may be best for one and not for another. Also a comparison to the torque applied vs what actual torque loads with common tire sizes for the axles would help show things more based on real world abuse. Maybe a shock load test since most shafts I've seen break arnt during steady stress but when the axle is bouncing a bit

well the ultimate test (those others you mention are not possible to really test) is how much force a axle can take before it breaks, with a good amount or torsional twist also, before it breaks.

Kinda like looking at a test comparision of 5 different cars. one has 250HP and 1/4 mile time of 14sec, the sec at 275hp and 13.5sec, the third at 300hp and 13sec, 4th at 350hp and 12sec, and then a 400hp at 11sec.

You tell me which one you want for drag race... they all will be fun for daily driving and all will be fast. just like the axle test, they all are strong and will hold up better then stock. but if you want the strongest you get the highest rated.

Thats about the best I can give ya.. sorry....

I do have a question in to them, asking which specific axle fittment that test with with.

And I expect Every hardcore axle to beat out every non hardcore axle, when comparing exact application/fitment.

oh dont get me wrong, this was a cool test to see, just wish i had a better understanding of the numbers and how to apply them.

i mean, a 400HP honda probably isnt gonna go down the track faster than a 250HP honda. The latter of the two has the traction advantage and thus makes up for the HP deficiency. Thats what i am trying to grasp tho. the numbers are cool, but how do they apply in real world testing ya know...

but again, cool post :D

oh dont get me wrong, this was a cool test to see, just wish i had a better understanding of the numbers and how to apply them.

i mean, a 400HP honda probably isnt gonna go down the track faster than a 250HP honda. The latter of the two has the traction advantage and thus makes up for the HP deficiency. Thats what i am trying to grasp tho. the numbers are cool, but how do they apply in real world testing ya know...

but again, cool post :D
Traction does not beat horsepower in identical cars. The 400 hp may spin, but after about 100 ft, the other car would be in the mirrors quick.

Traction does not beat horsepower in identical cars. The 400 hp may spin, but after about 100 ft, the other car would be in the mirrors quick.
i made that analogy specifically b/c i was at the track when a guy braggeed about his 400+HP EK hatch, and it got beat repeatedly by sub 300HP hondas because he couldnt get it to hook up. weight and driver definitely could have aplayed a role in the losses, but 4 consecutive losses to gradually less powered cars made a distictive point....

but im not arguing HP to track times, i was simply trying to show that numbers dont neccesarily parallel to real life experience

That would make a lot of sense for other more complex parts, but for axle shafts I don't think so. Axle shafts are pretty simple, you've basically got splines, diameter, and material that composes how strong it's going to be. So I think you can for the most part apply the test results of one shaft to all others across the board along with respect to their diameter and spline count.

Factoring in the u-joint would be nice as well. If the u-joint broke first in all the shafts what would be the advantage?
stir_pot.gif

There's a lack of key information provided in that video. For all we know it was Ten and Superior d35 shafts against a Yukon dana 60 shaft. The lack of part numbers leads to a lack of credibility.

Yukon refused to warranty the first shaft I broke because the invoice was in someone elses name (purchase used never installed). Alloy-USA warranteed that shaft out for me..

At the end of the day, good reputations are earned. So are poor ones.

The guy with the 400+HP EK is stepping down on the peddle too hard.

A more tender foot would win him more races.

:passgas:

Well one would hope their quality improved after the purchase of Warn.. I would still rather purchase a set from Moser before running any of the non US made shafts... regardless of what country they are made the metalurgy is total crap.. just my .02$ worth..

Back