• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5" rear spring recommendations ?

Rmart30

NAXJA Forum User
heres the deal.... got a RC long arm kit with 4.5 RE coils and 3/4" spacer waiting to go on. (spacer to overcome winch bumper weight)

After looking at the RE website for their 4.5" lifts they are using 3.5" springs and a 1" lift shackle to get that height on their 4.5" kit.

My goal is good ride quality, I dont want something super stiff. This rig wont be used to rock climb or mud. Its mainly used for hunting and back road trail riding with a little bit of good flexing needing for some deep rutted trails.

So the question is do I go with the 3.5's and a 1" lift shackle to keep a flatter spring pack, or go with the more arched 4.5" packs, stock length shackle and maybe relocated shackle?

or do I scrap the RE idea and go with another brand spring entirely ?

Ive seen people say the Rustys springs ride good but will end up sagging and i really dont want to have to swap out springs twice. But, if his 4.5" springs start out at 5.5 and sag to 4.5 over time and dont get any lower i guess id be ok with that.

comments or suggestions ?

For a smoother ride you want a spring with the least amount of arch. The 3.5 with 1" shackle should give you a smooth ride. When I did mine I did 3.5ish bastard pack with pieces from 2 xj leaf packs with a small 1" block (shackle is better but I was on a budget).

I'm in the same boat regarding leaf selection.

I ended up going with old man emu leaf springs, hd offroad engineering shackle relocation brackets, and ironman4x4fab adjustable shackles to dial in ride hiegh.

Still waiting for items to all arrive, but in theory I should be able to get 4-4.5" and great ride.

Back