• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aw4 Deeper pan?

honesT

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I`m looking into getting a deeper AW4 trans pan for my 96 cherokee country and have seen that the A340H trans gasket is a match for the AW4.
Has anyone ever heard of some swapping pans? I know the bolts are already real close to the crossmember on the XJ`s but where there is a will ...
The A340H has a real deep pan on the 4WD trucks vs the 2WD...
Thanks in advance for your time.

When the trans already holds 8 qts when full adding a deeper pan will do nothing. The best thing that can be done for the AW4 would be to install an aftermarket trans cooler. The stock one in the rad doesn't cool it as effeciently as a seperate one would.

No personal experience with a deeper pan, but the AW-4 does have a excessive heat issue. A cooler would be("was" actually)my first choice, but adding fluid capacity wouldn't hurt anything. Check out Go-jeep's build. He made his own deep pan:

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAutoDeepPan.htm

The rest of his site is interesting too:
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/
Just remember that he has a RH drive jeep when you start looking over suspension/steering mods.

The trans cooler in the radiator is mainly designed for heating up the trans fluid, no?

How much extra capacity is added when adding a trans cooler?

The trans cooler in the radiator is mainly designed for heating up the trans fluid, no?

How much extra capacity is added when adding a trans cooler?

Not a lot. FWIW, I'm with you - I think added capacity can only be a good thing even if it isn't on the top of my to-do list. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the A340 really. Try it, let us know!

I'm not sure I would bother with this... reduces ground clearance.

I would add an aftermarket cooler first - grab a plate cooler out of any Ford Explorer at the yard, they are massive and cheap.

I'm not sure I would bother with this... reduces ground clearance.

I would add an aftermarket cooler first - grab a plate cooler out of any Ford Explorer at the yard, they are massive and cheap.
id just buy a new one why risk usin some crap from the yard

id just buy a new one why risk usin some crap from the yard
can save 40-50 bucks by using a junkyard one, flush it out with some brakleen and a bit of ATF and it's perfectly fine. I don't see what the problem with a used tranny cooler is :dunno:

a plate-and-fin cooler out of larger fords is better than the cheap tube-n-fin BS they sell at autozone or such....

but, a premium performance trans cooler is better then the oem stuff ANYDAY.
its a balancing act, balance bling and budget. i chose 100% bling, but that doesnt take away any merit from doing it cheaply.

If you get a used trans cooler get someone with a hotflusher to flush it out. Brake clean or that crappy cooler flush in a can won't get the crap out of a ford cooler that has had a trans fail. Of course maybe you will find a ford in the junk yard that has never had a trans fail.....but that one has a smashed cooler.

That big B&M stacked plate cooler FTW.

Back