• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 Cherokee cranks but no start

Brandoson

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 engine/trans/wiring in an 88 body. 4.0 HO with coil on plug.

The jeep cranks but will not start.

Was taking it for a test spin around the block after building my cage and axles for the last 10 months. Then a few minutes later it just died.

Checked for fuel pressure and it has pressure at the rail. Pump kicks on when key on.

Checked for spark and none. Checked for fuel in chamber, no fuel.

Checked all fuses and relays, all tested okay.

Tested CPS which tested 0 ohms. Replaced the CPS. Still same symptoms.

Any ideas where to look next?

Check for supply voltage from the ignition switch to the ASD and fuel pump relays. If you have voltage, then check for a ground from the PCM to those relays, it comes from pin/cavity 51.

Where would I locate cav 51?

The PCM has 3 connectors labeled 1-32 on each of them.

This might be a dumb question but are there any codes on the trouble light? Also, if you know someone that has a MODUS, I am pretty sure you can plug it in while cranking and it will find what is not working. These Chrysler based models are usually pretty good at throwing codes.
And if you dont know what a MODUS is, it is a scan tool that most if not all mechanics use to diag OBD I and II vehicles.

Hope this helps, if not, I didnt waste TO MUCH of your time reading. LOL

Latuh

Every time I strive for perfection I blow it.

00 XJ, Gray C3 connector, Cav 3 ASD relay; Cav 19 fuel pump relay.

Awesome. Thanks Joe!

@AZRockRunner - Yeah I scanned it and it shows no codes. I intended to mention that in original post. Forgot to.

Had the same issue with my 1996 4L 6 cyl. After changing the fuel pump, crank position sensor and the map sensor.
It still didnt work. Finally decided to check the ecm and it was burned inside. Replaced it with on from the guys from Auto computer exchange. Worked immediatly.
So My suggestion - Check if there is power going to the spark plugs. Check if there is fuel getting to the engine. and check/replace the cps and map sensors. After that is is quite likely the ecm.

good luck

i was gonna suggest something like boncarib said. sounds like a computer fault. if u dont have access to a real scan tool that will run a datastream, diagrams and the whole 9 let me know i have one. i know of a really good shop in tempe too if it gets out of control ; ) haha.

ASD relay is good.

I'm going to check the PCM next.

if I'm not able to figure it out I might have to take you up on that scan tool offer djrethoret

checked pin 3 (ASD) and pin 19 (fuel pump) and both test good.

probably need to check the PCM itself now. unless anyone has any other ideas

Get your battery load tested. My 2001 did the same thing over a year ago. The PCM demands at least 9v (i think) to do anything. My Jeep would crank all day long but never light up.

If you have a DVOM then check your voltage while you are cranking. If it drops below 9v while cranking then you computer won't send a signal to start. took me like 2 weeks to figure out the stupid thing.

If you don't have a DVOM I can lend you one or let me know and I can come check it out.

Billy

My Jeep died when I was driving a couple of months ago. I was totally stumped because I thought well with 200,000 plus miles it must be the fuel pump (it had been whining at me for like the last 20,000) so I checked the fuel rail and there seemed like adequate pressure so I mistakingly ruled it out. It turned out that that with a fuel pressure tester hooked up to the rail by a shop that my pump was working but not sending adequate pressure of fuel for a start I guess. This caused a no start and luckily the pump was easy to replace.

Back