• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

peugot ba10/5 locked up POS

Mitchen

NAXJA Forum User
i already posted a thread asking about swapping to an ax15 which i may still do but i would like to know how difficult it would be to rebuild my peugot.

the problem. i lost 3rd gear about 2 weeks ago.

would go up into 3rd but just free revd like it was in neutral

then last week it got stuck in fifth but is in the neutral position.

got it up on stands and got it to pop out. and then it drove fine other than 3rd. now its locked up again worse than befor. still stuck in 5th but in neutral position but you can move the shifter very much

i just got a bunch of FSM manuals today for free so i have that to help me along the way. but i do not have much knowledge as far as fixing a transmission goes. replaced some shift forks in a ford ranger once but thats it.

im think there is a broken shift fork but am not sure. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
MItch

mine did this too. they leak oil, and are a pain to refill, so nobody does. then they lock up. don't fix that transmission. get an ax15 out of a newer jeep in a junkyard, for about the same price as the parts to fix your pile, swap it in, and never look back. trust me, i've been there and done this more than once, and already saving money for when my current puke-goat takes a dump. there are more advantages to the ax15 than just durability, too. good luck!

X2... the pukegoat, d35, and GM V6 some XJs came with have much in common... toss that shit and replace with something better.

Check the PNW chapter classifieds, see if someone near you is selling an AX15. If not, hit the junkyard.

Here is a link to a good source on the BA 10/5 parts: http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cat...ion_overhaul_kits/jeep_ba10_overhaul_kit.html

Now, the others have given you EXCELLENT advice on NOT wasting money on the BA 10/5. I would agree with them on that from the get-go. However, IF you had a chance of repairing your transmission when 3rd first went out, you have most likely DAMAGED more parts by continuing to drive it, and I am willing to bet one chocolate chip cookie that the parts to repair it now will cost you as much, if not more, than what a really good used AX-15 will run if you shop around.

Good luck.

Okay so looking at the price of everything its pretty impractical for me to rebuild it right now. and i dont have the money to buy a junkyard tranny.

But i may be getting an ax-15 from my school
it was a car used at the local community college for students to learn on or something. and the tranny looks brand new. the truck doesnt look like it has seen much pavement.

i can get the tranny with transfer case. so i dont have to worry about getting a 23spline shaft.

i can get the cross member driveline shifter linkage for the 4x4.

and if i need i can also get the clutch master cylinder and all that.

what i dont know is will the ax-15 bolt up. or will i need a new bellhousing and pilot bushing and all that?

also will i need the clutch master cylinder or will mine work?

i do not know the year of the possible donor jeep but can get it tomorrow

i have been reading several articles but they all had different situations so i have a relative idea of what all i need but some advice from someone who has done this or knows more than me would be really helpfull.

Thanks,
Mitch

Back