• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Back Bumper Design

redrider2911

NAXJA Forum User
Been working on designing a back bumper for the cherokee. I wanted it to complement my front bumper as well as follow the main body lines of a cherokee but still be unique.

The bumper requires a cut and cold on the quarter panel on the higher body line. If I ever come down on the back of my rig I wanted to be able to slide right off the gas tank skid and onto the bumper without getting hung up on the bottom side of the bumper.

This is what I have so far. Let me know what you think. There will be a reciever and D ring mounts incorporated into the design as well. Im thinking 3/16 or 1/4 plate. Leaning more toward 3/16 because of the weight.

backbumper.jpg

backbumper2.jpg

backbumper3.jpg

backbumper4.jpg

backbumper5.jpg

I agree, it looks good. You may also consider leaving some meat on the back end so you can use it as a step up to get to the roof and/or for possibly mouting a spare tire carrier. That is part of my plan anyways. And you can round it and taper it up so no leading edges are square to get hung up coming off the gas tank skid.

And while you're at it, put some bigger tires on that model jeep. Those things are way too skinny.

really like that alot. angles look good and flow with jeep. I would stick with 3/16 because that is strong enough and like you said less on weight.

Sweet bumper, I really like it. Is there any way I cam bum the Jeep cad off you? It would be awesome to use when designing things i want to do to mine.

thats slick!

Thanks guys for all the compliments. After all this good feedback I might have to offer this bumper in my line of products... I was thinking about incorporating a tire carrier but I like to be able to see out of my back window so I don't know yet. I don't wanna put my tire on the roof because it instantly raises your center of gravity while decreasing your gas milage. So that's a hard one. I am going to make this out of 3/16 for sure.
Do you think this receiver hangs to low?
backbumper6.jpg

For the guys wanting the CAD model. I can't remember where I got it and I accidently started saving my changes over the original file. So it wouldn't have the stock fenders and bumpers on it. I have found that it isn't 100% accurate in scale as a whole so I have been double checking and rescaling the specific sections I was working on to be accurate.
I'm using it in Rhino3D but let me know what kind of file you want it exported as and I can email it to you.

I like the way it looks - my only worry: that sorta-skid-plate bit hanging down toward the gas tank in the middle looks like it could use some ribs to stiffen up the lower edge (or heck, the whole thing.) Not sure, maybe you have something else in mind, but if I came down on a rock with that it'd probably buckle.

Also, FYI, the 97+ is a bit different... that bumper looks like it's designed to fit the 96- body. The tail light housings line up differently with the bumper and some other stuff like that on 97+.

I was thinking about incorporating a tire carrier but I like to be able to see out of my back window so I don't know yet.

Ite really not all that bad unless you are backing up to a trailer or into a parking spot.

I like it its real clean looking and Ive only heard good things about your products.
I also like that your buggy spring plates are In the cad model, have you thought of selling those?

im not much for plate bumpers but i like it.
i would run a tube from framerail to the sides to give support from lateral impacts.

with as far under the jeep as it looks like that would go, would it hinder you from supposrting it with the nutstrip for receiver hitch?

The plan is to have 3 main pieces CNC plasma cut out then use the press break to form it and weld up the seams. The "caps" where the center section will be welded on to the outside peices might have to be a seperate piece. We have a nice press break but I dont know if I can make that work as part of the side pieces. Not enough clearance.

backbumper7.jpg

backbumper8.jpg

This gives you an idea. The black lines are cuts and blue are bends. Use your oragami skill. lol

backbumperbends.jpg

On my specific rig I was planning on welding a piece of flat iron onto the gas tank skid and bolting the bumper "skid" to it for support. I could weld some pieces of 1" angle on the 2 edges running front to back on that bottom section to keep it solid. Kind of like the stock front skids.

I have thought about support tubes on the sides that run to the frame rail and bolt through it as through the rectangle tubing off the bumper and attach to a weld nut on the inside of the tubing. The problem is, your gas tank filler hose is right in the way. I really think leaning up against obstacle and sliding around trees wont have any affect on the bumper sides. I can see it getting damaged if you planned on a car clipping you in the back corner, it would have to be a tall car. lol

The rect tubing insert will replace the nut strips so you can bolt up through the frame rail to it. I might have to punch out a couple holes out of that bottom section for easy access with a ratchet.

Ill be building this over the next month and post up updates. As soon as im sure everything fits right check out the website for a price. PM me if you want to be one of the first guys to run it.

I really like my buggy leafs. No problem with stability or unloading. I keep going back and forth on whether or not Im going to sell them. The reasoning, I would either have to find a bunch of main leafs laying around that I could cut up or sell the kit with just the plate, shackle, retaining pin, and other hardware. I really want to try to sell complete kits so I dont know.

I dont think the receiver mount hangs to low. the bumper itself already looks raised. It looks like it would hang higher then a normal hitch would. you could always offer with or without the receiver mount.

bumper looks sick! do you mind me asking how long those shackles are going to be? are you worried your going to catch/bend those? sorry if thats a dumb q but they just seem very out in the open. I've got extended ones on my xj too, i'm always worried about them. but my cherokee already sits low.

if anyone is looking for a stock cad file of a cherokee. google sketchup's 3d warehouse has a few decent looking ones.

Back