• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Offset footman loops?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I've been searching and searching but finally had the balls to start a thread on the topic... Does anyone know of where to buy offset footman loops? I finally found a picture confirming such a thing exists:

offset_footman.jpg

The above picture is from an sPOD installation thread (Wrangler JK). I've called a local dealership and have one of the parts guys trying to track down this part number, however, given the fact that it's riveted into place from the factory (the above is a picture of it having been bolted back in after drilling out the factory rivets), I don't think it'll be available outside of the scope of a complete windshield frame assembly.

Does anyone know whether or not the above is still even called a footman loop? Regardless, any idea of who might sell them? I need a couple for securing the middle points of my Raingler barrier net (I want to use the back seat latch bracket as a mounting point), as they'd be the ideal solution by a long shot.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
No worries, any input is appreciated.

Technically, they might work, but at that point I could use the traditional footman loops I already have instead - I'm wanting offset footman loops in order to avoid drilling any new holes in the XJ, as they would allow me to use the back seat latch brackets' rearmost screws as attachment points.

what is that thing for?

I need a couple for securing the middle points of my Raingler barrier net (I want to use the back seat latch bracket as a mounting point), as they'd be the ideal solution by a long shot.

Originally, probably a piece of the JK soft top hardware.

The only thing I could think would be to hit the junkyard and find something close to those specs. Good luck!

My JK has that footman but its zinc plated. It serves no use with the soft top or hard top. It must be for a bikini top of some sort, we hang our garage door opener from it.

Thanks for the tips guys.

VAhasnoWAVES - I agree that it could be made pretty easily, but unfortunately I don't have the tools to make it. Might be worth picking up a handheld bender and some steel rod, then find some way to hammer the ends flat and drill them out... Or if I can find decently sturdy tube in a small enough diameter, it'd be easier to flatten the tips.

souske - I agree, and will likely be doing that this weekend... I *seriously* doubt that LKQ will have any JKs, as I have yet to see one hit a local junkyard (totaled JKs are just worth too much since it's a current model). Looks like CJs, YJs, and TJs do not have this loop, so I might just need to start scoping out various convertibles to see what kinds of loops might work.

xjtrailrider - Is there any chance you could measure the distance eye-to-eye for me? I think there's a piece of plastic trim covering the lower portion of it from the factory, so if you don't want to remove it, edge-to-edge would be just fine as well (shouldn't be more than 1/4" off from the eye-to-eye width). I'd really, really appreciate it, as it'd help me figure out whether or not this is even the right part to go for :)

The loop that is shown is used as a tie down point when the windshield is folded down onto the the hood. I think that all CJ style Jeeps have these. At least my 48 CJ-2a does. There will be a loop at the top of the grill opening also. A 1" strap is used to hold everything down.

For those that do not believe that a JK will fold...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzhDjt41GXI

Had some great luck with a local dealer's parts counter - one of the guys tracked it down as part number 55177497AB (~$12). Noting it here in case anyone else needs it in the future, and because I'm a lazy ass who doesn't want to keep track of a stickynote. It measures just shy of 2.5" from eye to eye, so I'll be heading out to my car after work to see if it'll work... I'm thinking it will, but worst case scenario I can beat it with a hammer to narrow it up a bit.

For once, things actually fell together better than I had hoped.

Picked up the bracket after work from the dealership - after a test fit in the parking lot, I figured it looked close enough and paid for it.

footman1.jpg

Did another test fit... Looked like it might fit with a little bit of grinding and a bit of help from a hammer:

footman4.jpg

After trimming it (a little too generously, as the picture might show) to clear the bracket, another test fit revealed it was an absolutely perfect fit - eye to eye seems to be more like 2.125":

footman5.jpg

Unfortunately, this was the only one they had in stock - the other one should arrive Tuesday. All in all, several hours of research and 2 minutes with a cutting wheel worked out perfectly. Next time I'll take a little less off of it with the cutting wheel, but there is still plenty of material there for the kinds of loads it will be dealing with.

don't know about where your at but in ut every hardware store i've been in has them, i use them as tie downs for cooler and gas cans on my trailers.

There are some off-the-shelf tie-downs and footman loops that would indeed serve this purpose, but in this case I wanted to use existing hardware and mount points. This was the only option I found that was basically an offset footman loop that would clear the casting of the seat back bracket/latch and fit on the existing bolt battern.

If I've overlooked something, by all means I'd love to know of a cheaper and more readily available alternative - I just didn't come across anything else like this piece.

I think that's a great idea for adding tie downs without having to drill any new holes. thanks for the idea!

Glad I could help - it is the exact solution I'd been looking for and is working great. Another bonus is that it doesn't interfere with the rear seat back at all.

Back