• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clunking when flexing

Speedbump96

NAXJA Forum User
i got a 96 cherokee every time i go wheeling when i flex out and flex back to normal i hear alot of clunking i got the spring retainers in so the srprings stay in the bottom pocket is it norman for it to make a loud clunking and also when i hit bumps in the road it sounds like complete ass im wondering if anyone may think that it may be the rustys springs that im using or the contol arms cause i have flex joints just pretty much sounds like ass and want a smoother ride

are your flex joints metal or rubber? do you have the stock spring isolators in?
if you get longarms or drop brackets, it will ride smoother. really though, if you want a smooth quiet ride, you might not be happy in a lifted jeep.

yeah im not tlking about real smooth and quiet it just sounds like complete shit even on a sandy bumpy road i have flex joints and stock spring retainer clips

Bring it to the house Dan...

I'll take a look at it.

flex it and look at the springs, i bet they're hitting the bump stops. either that or the rubbers on the top of the springs are rotted out or missing.

So many reasons it could make those noises you really need to start systematicly inspecting every thing. Flex joints wear and clink, springs can rub and move, track bar brackets get loose, shock bushings break, etc its not as simple as pointing to just one item well it is really walk to the front of your grill find the jeep logo and point there :)

Mine does the same thing. It got so bad that it was doing it just from body roll whenever I turned a corner! The only way I could find out what it was is to have a friend flex it while I walked around the outside and listened. Turns out it was the leaf springs rubbing against eachother. Not too much I can do about that. Just to make sure it was them I took some WD-40 and sprayed it where the individual leafs are and sure enough, SILENCE! :twak:

This might be something you want to try. HTH.

figured out what it is my control arms are for a 6.5 and im 4.5. so it pushed the axle too far foward and the d/s spring was rubbing on the track bar bracket

yeah i think its my joints that are also making the poping noise cause i have an lock tite or aussie full time locker and it sounds like compete shit when i cut the wheel all the way either way

yeah idk maybe its the joints poping when i cut the wheel all the way cause im full time locked in the front and it sounds like complete shit when i cut the wheel

Back