• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C comp. clutch

richcampos

NAXJA Forum User
need help. looking to replace my ac clutch. been looking at parts adds in local craigslist, found a couple of older cherokees. Mine is a 99 sport, 2wd 4.0. how far back can i go model years to find a fitting replacement? found a listing for an '88. no time to visit a junkyard til saturday, in the mean time just looking at online adds.

Do you have any engagement on the clutch? I thought I needed to replace the clutch on my 98 2wd XJ. I would get partial engagement until the engine warmed up and then I would lose it. I ended up removing the clutch from the compressor (took 10 minutes) and cleaning the corrosion off the magnet. I would have removed a shim, but I only had one so I put it back in and bolted it back together with anti-seize. That was 3,000 miles ago and the AC system works flawlessly now. Just a thought, since a replacement clutch may be hard to locate.....everyone wanted to sell me the entire compressor.

Here's my thread with the issue, and the fix:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1038440&highlight=sanden

Thanks again to Saudade

Last edited:
i guess i was just assuming it was bad or going out considering how loud it is when the ac is first turned on. after running for a few minutes, it gets better, but still some noise.

Go backup and read 98NWCherokee post and follow his link. He describes the process perfectly.

Back