• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wire identification please

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Getting ready to install a stereo in my new Cherokee and found this loom of wires not connected to anything...

1993 Country model, auto w/242

wires.jpg

Not sure what it could go to...white/red/green and grayish wires coming from it tucked behind the stereo. The black wire in the pic isn't in the same bundling of wires.

That looks like a piece of regular SO or SJO electrical wire. Not exactly what I would expect to see in the dash of a Jeep.

I would say that as long as the factory connector and harness is all present in the dash opening, my guess would be that a kid had a head unit in there and was using that as a remote turn on for an amp.

Last edited:
I think you need to get something that identifies what wires in the jeep are what. I believe the green, white, gray wires are for speakers and the red is likely the batt+ wire and the black is the ground.

I think you need to get something that identifies what wires in the jeep are what. I believe the green, white, gray wires are for speakers and the red is likely the batt+ wire and the black is the ground.

All of those connections you mention are included in the factory harness unless the factory connector was hacked off by the PO. From the picture it looks like the wires the OP is holding are at least 14ga. I could be wrong, it's only a pic. Plus there's the telltale poly string insulator that would make me believe it's electrical flex cord.

dave, thanks for the input but I know what the 'normal' speaker/stereo wires are... it's still connected to the harness this was just something apart from everything else.

Factory harness is still there which makes me wonder what these wires were used for...guess i'll try and trace where they go.

Why not look up a wiring diagram and see if you can't locate what those are? In my experience the factory wiring usually has tracers, which those wires do not. So i would be ready to believe that those arent factory

All of those connections you mention are included in the factory harness unless the factory connector was hacked off by the PO. From the picture it looks like the wires the OP is holding are at least 14ga. I could be wrong, it's only a pic. Plus there's the telltale poly string insulator that would make me believe it's electrical flex cord.

Yah now I see that frayed string hanging down in the middle. Seeing that it's definately not factory as I've pulled a few jeeps and harnesses apart and haven't seen anything like that.

Back