• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LED taillight wiring issue

sunburned

NAXJA Forum User
I know there are a bunch of threads on this, but bear with me.

Got my JCR quarter guards and LED's from superbrightleds.com, plus Towready 119175 converter. Went to do the install last week and when I got everything wired up, I seem to be having just one issue.

The three lights that go through the converter are tails, brake and turn. I have stop/turn/tail lights that are wired up. As far as I know, the wiring is correct and I used some writeups from this site as a reference. When I turn on the parking lights, the STT's light up and the smaller amber lights I have light up. This is good. When I hit the turn signal, the STT lights flash like they are supposed to. The only issue is the brake lights. When the parking lights are off and I hit the brakes, the STT's flash very faintly and very quickly and that's it. The light doesn't stay on at all even when I hold down the brake. When the parking lights are on and the STT's are at their dim setting and I hit the brakes, you don't see any change at all. What could possibly be wrong in the setup? Should I have gotten a different converter, say the 119130? I don't really see a difference in the two.

I even tried switching the wires from the stock connector to the converter so that the parking lights and brake lights were backwards and everything worked backwards like it was supposed to. Turned on the parking lights and the STT's were very bright and when I hit the brakes, they got dimmer. Seems to me that everything is working properly and getting power.

i did this setup without a converter. since my rig doesnt get driven on the road that often anymore, i wired it straight up and eliminated my reverse lights. i bought the S/T/T led's and amber colored turn signal led's, wired them straight into the corresponding wires in the stock wire bundle and they worked great. i have a late model, so the only thing i had left to do after that was switch out the turn signal relay. everything works like its supposed to, i just eliminated the reverse lights.

I guess the converter is needed to account for the STT lights. I want to keep a backup light, so I can't have a seperate turn signal. I did wire the backup lights straight from the stock harness and they work perfectly.

I seem to remember when I was researching this a couple years ago that some converters wouldn't work correctly. IIRC there are two converters that seem to work consistantly, one from U-Haul and the other one I can't remember, but you might try a different one and see if it works.

I decided it wasn't worth using a converter and made my own setup using a couple resistors and diodes. My lights don't work in quite the same way as they would if I had used a converter but I don't drive on the street all that much and in the couple years that I've had it set up that way I don't think anybody has ever noticed.

Sucks, I figured they were the same, don't know why everything would work except for one stupid function.

Wanted to make it foolproof so I ordered two 119130 harnesses last night. Need to get this done before next weekend so I can go wheeling.

Back