• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Your Opinion Please. Repair Manifold or new?

Samson04

NAXJA Forum User
I have recently discovered that my manifold is cracked at the collector on my 98xj sport. I don't see much way of getting to it and repairing it without taking it off. I am a welder/ fabricator so I am certain that I can weld it and repair it once it is off. However, are there great benefits to going with an aftermarket header or manifold? I don't have a lot of extra cash to throw at it and it is my DD. What do you think? Remove, repair, and re-install existing manifold, or purchase new manifold or header?

Can you snap a picture? How bad is the crack?

When I purchased our '99 it had a crack as well. I had it off anyway for a headgasket replacement so I welded up it and it has been fine for ~30k miles now.

This was the crack before repair:
ExhaustCrack.jpg

I am at work right now with no way to take or upload pics. Looks very similar to yours though. I do have a pic on my cell that I could text you if you want. PM me with your #.

I am about to repair a similar crack in my manifold. Do you remember what method/rod you used? thanks
Nothing fancy. Just cleaned up the effected area really well and hit it with my Millermatic 180 MIG.

One other technique used to help stop the crack from propagating is to drill the ends of it, then weld. The round holes at the ends of the crack are basically a stress reliever.

One other technique used to help stop the crack from propagating is to drill the ends of it, then weld. The round holes at the ends of the crack are basically a stress reliever.
That would work if you could actually get a drill bit at both ends of the crack. ;)
Unfortunately in my case there is/was no way to do so were the closest side of the tubes meet.

What brand of header would you go with if that's what a guy wanted to do and what kind of cost would I be looking at to go that route? Would there be any noticeable mpg or horsepower gains?

Weld it up. New engine/trans mounts, check the engine mount bracket bolts and tighten/replace the bolts. Install a flex tube in the downpipe where it crosses from left to right before the CAT.

Sample flex tube: http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CXR&Product_Code=FLEXPIPE-250x8

If you decide to replace the header: http://www.ineedparts.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=15343

If you buy the APN header in the link above, buy a good gasket at your local parts store.

Weld it up. New engine/trans mounts, check the engine mount bracket bolts and tighten/replace the bolts. Install a flex tube in the downpipe where it crosses from left to right before the CAT.

Sample flex tube: http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CXR&Product_Code=FLEXPIPE-250x8

If you decide to replace the header: http://www.ineedparts.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=15343

If you buy the APN header in the link above, buy a good gasket at your local parts store.
Flex-tube is in my future as well. That's entirely too much rigid exhaust there not to have some sort of stress relief.

Jim www.yuccaman.com/jeep

i was just at my buddys muffler shop and he told me just to pull it and weld it and it would be fine so kind of a professional opinion id suppose he said he was just gonna use his fancy big ole miller whatever he uses all the time for his work worked great on my spider gears :)

I've welded several while still in the Jeeps with 100% success. I used my little welder, a Hobart 125, which has a small gun that i can get all the way around the collector with, I use mirrors for the areas that I can not see directly.

for sure check your mounts thats what cracked mine mig weld it no ploblems so far about 10.000 om it . I want to put a flex is also but waitting to have a new down pipe made 2.5 in then my whole exhaust will be 2.5 from maniflod to tail pipe

Thanks for the feedback guys! I think after reading your posts and seeing that several of you have had good luck welding and repairing these, that's what I'll do. I will be removing it however because I also have a small exhaust leak around the gasket so I'll be replacing this also. Thanks again everyone!! :eeks1:

Another vote for welding it... what have you got to lose? If you weld it, botch it and have to replace it anyways, you're out maybe an hour or two of your time and the cost of a manifold gasket ($8 or so.) No big deal.

I think you guys have convinced me to weld it. :wave1: The flex pipe is definitely in the future. Too much rigid pipe, a stress relief point makes perfect sense. Now to find the time to pull the intake off and start this project. That's the down side of this being my DD. Thanks again guys, this is why I LOVE this site.:D

Back